Fold it, Hang It, Rubber Band It, Shred It? Feeding Nori to your fish!

How do you feed your fish Nori or algae sheets?

• Rubberband it to rocks

Votes: 37 6.2%
  • Attach to the glass via a magnet

Votes: 71 11.8%
  • Attach to the glass via an algae clip

Votes: 377 62.7%
  • Shred it and hand feed

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Let is float in the water column for the fish to fight over

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Lay it on a power head or pump to disperse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't feed algae strips (nori)

Votes: 46 7.7%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 40 6.7%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get 100g from BRS for $12-15. If there's other places to get it in bulk for cheaper, I'm good with that. My Tangs are pigs. I have a chocolate tang, Caribbean Blue Tang, and Black long nose tang. Those three will have a full sheet of nori (10") shredded in 10 minutes. I caught my black long nose tang last night sticking his nose in the clip trying to pry the last bits of nori out of the magnetic clip. . . . It was hilarious watching him work at it. For some reason the nori pressed by the clip after it's been in the water a while stinks the most and is the tastiest. I've seen other fish that don't like nori go at it after the tiny bits have soaked in some sea water for a few hours. . . .

My Canary blenny likes to wear his nori.. If I clip it in the tank so the nori is longer and waves, not as tightly folded, I've seen the blenny swim into the center of the nori and lit it gently wrap around him.. The tangs were a little surprised when they went at the nori and the blenny swam out from the center. . . Things one doesn't get to see often but makes this hobby so much fun!

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried every method and feeder option on the market until about a month ago. I discovered OctoAquatics.com (he's a vendor/supporter on R2R as well) and the game has changed....for the better! He makes an acrylic nori feeder that rocks! I am able to put a new nori sheet in every day without having to rip and tweak it to make it fit. My fish are able to get every piece out of his feeder. Great design. It makes my life so much more simple every day and just takes seconds to add a new sheet. He appears to be a small business but he definitely has great designs and well thought out.

I also bought his magnetic heater holder after using other brands and options throughout the years and it is by far the best and best design I have found. I also keep freshwater tanks and use his heater holder to mount the spray bars from the filters. I had tried it with another name brand magnetic holder but it was too limited to allow the larger size pvc pipe to go through the openings. OctoAquatics design uses a sturdy flexible band (think of pony tail holders/cloth covered rubberband) so it allows so much flexibility that I can make it work for various sizes/applications.

Seame

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 ea TLF Magnet clips to allow all 40 fish to get there share.
2ea 8x7 inch sheets twice a day, folded and let soak in tank water for about 10 min before I put on the clips.
I find soaking first the fish don't rip off bigger chunks to float around.

Attachments

• 20210218_182044.jpg
    20210218_182044.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210218_182042.jpg
    20210218_182042.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210218_181956.jpg
    20210218_181956.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 35

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Emporer Angel (who had HLLE ) 2 to 3 times a day - this was after 1+ years of not feeding seaweed. The 2 yellow tangs also munch but the angel is a beast - and tears the sheet from the clip in 1 or 2 bites and them chases it around the tank until it's gone. Occasionally my diamond goby will also gobble a chunk

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 4”x4” sheet rolled up and rubber banded to a small rock hanging from a cord. I had a real urgent occurrence lately that most would say impossible, but it happened with a loose rubber band in the tank. I posted the occurrence here on R2R, and we had our laughs. My fish was caught and freed without harm. Now, I remove the rock and rubber band when small piece is left underneath. I’ve used the clips but they are able to pull it off.

37680988-90A5-4A7D-8C01-CC788092744A.jpeg A28BBFE5-97C5-48A5-A98D-415AF8D19AF6.jpeg 070BD001-E0F8-40D8-87C7-E3B8276A1CC2.jpeg
Poor guy...

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 4”x4” sheet rolled up and rubber banded to a small rock hanging from a cord. I had a real urgent occurrence lately that most would say impossible, but it happened with a loose rubber band in the tank. I posted the occurrence here on R2R, and we had our laughs. My fish was caught and freed without harm. Now, I remove the rock and rubber band when small piece is left underneath. I’ve used the clips but they are able to pull it off.

37680988-90A5-4A7D-8C01-CC788092744A.jpeg A28BBFE5-97C5-48A5-A98D-415AF8D19AF6.jpeg 070BD001-E0F8-40D8-87C7-E3B8276A1CC2.jpeg
This made me laugh. Love these goofy fish

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Nori 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes sooner if they look like they want some

Attachments

• 20200706_170654.jpg
    20200706_170654.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 20

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the TLF algae clip and sometimes the IM grazer. Now that I am adding two more yellows to my tank that already has a purple ive been doing some research on tang aggression and found if you feed on two different clips on different parts of the tank that it would help with aggression. Anyone else read that or have experience?

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't believe this, I just ordered the gourmet grazer from BRS yesterday. The clip does ok but the tangs pull the pieces out and into the wave maker they go.

kjkaminski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many of the solutions in the poll. Similar to others’ experiences, all of these left algae chunks decaying in places I didn’t want it. Now, I use Julian Sprung’s pouch feeder, found here: Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder

The pouches hold all the algae firm enough to prevent flow from scattering it, but gently enough for a tiny blue tang to eat from it. And the best part, no more hands in the water, just use the magnet to slide it around from outside the tank.

I get my nori in bulk, like 100 large sheets for $10, at the local H-Mart. I feed whenever I notice that the clips are empty. Typically one sheet a day, or every other day, split between the two feeding spots. Plus a sheet for the dog who has decided that if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for him.

6EFDA26A-F41A-4F87-8B5D-7ABF2FD63330.jpeg ABD0A517-A670-49E8-9EBD-D4A5CF9F0880.jpeg

I use these as well. Love them. I also rubber-band a sheet to an old frag plug and drop it in for the bottom feeders like the conch. They literally come running when a new sheet appears.
I use the two little fishes magnet clip. Fold the nori sheet multiple times and then cut strips into it so the fish can rip off strips and not the entire thing at once.

I also feed every day. Nori is cheap enough when it’s in bulk and the snails/crabs get to find the leftover bits.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how often people are feeding nori and how many tangs they have
I have 11 Tangs. I feed nori about 3 times per week. I fed more often when they were smaller. Currently using 3 or 4 sheets of nori per serving. Lasts hours. I fold them altogether into 3" x 2" rectangle clipped onto a little fishies clip with big magnet. That compact rectangle keeps the nori compact and sturdy. Idk why people still barely fold their nori these days. Too easy to have the nori destroyed quickly when you don't fold it.

Sajacobs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mag clip, I don't have many fish that eat it so I don't feed much I cut it down to a small square!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two magnetic clips but they generally rip it off those pretty quickly. I've tried the grazing clips/pouches and the fish wouldn't go near them.
Best thing I've found is two small pieces of PVC (maybe 4" long 1" PVC) and I rubber band big pieces of Nori to those. It last them graze for awhile and they can't just rip the whole sheet off like they do the clips.
I still use the clips as well though. With the fish I have I try to put nori in 3 to 4 places to limit aggression.
One of the pieces of PVC is in this clip.
tangs2.jpg

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got through 1.5 to 2 sheets every time I feed them nori (3 times a week on average) Half sheet in each spot. Foxface and yellows will hit the sheets while I still have my hand on it. Then soon as I step away everyone else goes to town. It never last very long.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know how often people are feeding nori and how many tangs they have

1.5 to 2 sheets a day, 3 times a week at least.
Lt Tang, Vlamingi tang, blue hippo tang, two yellow tangs and a flame tang.
Throw in the magnificent foxface, and everyone else and the sheets get mowed down. Anything that makes it past the fish gets quickly devoured by the Mexican turbo snails.

Sparrow1617

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small rock that I drilled a hole through and attached a fishing line to it.
When I feed nori, I rubber band the nori to the rock and then lower it into the tank with the line.
When the Nori is done, simply pull the rock out with the line and let it hang of the back of the tank where it’s out of sight. I feed nori about once a week.

Back