Folks Who Use Lanthanum Chloride, How Do You Dose It?

How Do You Dose Your Lanthanum Chloride?

• Directly into display

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Directly into sump

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Filter sock

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Into protein skimmer

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels are extremely high, above 0.9 ppm as it couldn't be measured any higher by my Hanna URL checker. There are currently no corals but there are inverts such as shrimp and snails. I suspect that the second-hand rocks and massive chaeto die-offs have contributed to this.

I've done some research and it seems like dosing LC has been all over the place. Some directly add it into the tank, some directly into the sump, some into their skimmer or using filter socks. Which method should I use and why? Also which product is preferred?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose into my overflow box-thought being it gives time for precipitates to form then get caught in filter socks, rather than pouring directly into filter socks and maybe having the precipitates form after. I dose in the morning at the same time my return pump goes into slow mode for feeding so the flow through overflow/filter socks is slow. .

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me personally I used to dose straight into the tank or into the sump if using a Dosing pump. I never ran filter socks as they suggested to filter out the precipitate and saw no adverse affects on my fish including my tangs over the years of using it. But if your worried about it you can run a very fine filter sock while using the product. Remember as the [po4] lowers the less effective the product will be due to less po4 ions available for the La to bind too. I used this as a way to stabilize my po4 levels as it was very easy for me to get a daily dosage amount That would keep my levels where I wanted them. Hope this helps.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run sockless so I set up a single sock on a bracket, then pipe a bit of water from my manifold into the sock and dose into that. This also means I can stick it right by the skimmer intake.

That said, I was also using a doser to split it out so this could be overkill.

if I was manually dosing I would definitely be using a sock.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Blue Life PhosRX bc its the purist, cleanest, most effective product after trying everything from Brightwells product to Tropic Marin. All of them.

I have a blue hippo that with every product flips out and rapid breaths EXCEPT for Blue Life on Amazon

Small bottle of Blue Lifevhas close to 700-1000 droplets in it.

I just put a max of 50 droplets directly in the DT to drop PO4 0.1. Meaning if my PO4 is 0.3 and I put 50 droplets I'll expect a result of 0.2 on the test.

200g total volume btw

With 50 droplets my Blue Hippo acts normal and I get a 0.1 drop

Every other product to get the same 0.1 drop... I dang near have to kill my Hippo in a near-death experience

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phosphate e, diluted 50:1, dripped into overflow over 4 or 5 hours. Caught by 5 micron sock in sump. Only use lc if po4 > 0.2 ppm, otherwise use gfo for maintenance.
Use this to drip, 1 drop per second

Denshine Disposable Enteral Nutrition Bag Feeding Bag, 1200ml Enteral Delivery Gravity/Pump Feeding Bag Set, Detachable Connector

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back