following guide 3 kills guide 1 setup

cmitcham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after several years of on-again off-again lurking, i finally have a pi on the workbench for testing/learning reef pi.

smooth sailing through installation and adafruit guide 1 get me excited and i jump to guide 3 with a ds18b20 in hand. when i boot with the temp sensor, the pwm led dimming no longer works. the led is on at boot, but as soon as i touch the light slider it goes off and will not light again. the equipment on-off led still works fine, and the temp sensor works fine as well.

i shutdown and remove all the temp sensor set-up. still the pwm led does not work. i thought i killed the pi, but a start from scratch re-install got me back to a working guide 1. a second try at adding the ds18b20 repeated the problem.

should the setup in guide 3 (monitor only, no control) work together with the setup from guide 1? if so, any idea what i am doing wrong?

thanks for newbie help!

OP
OP
C

cmitcham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the temp sensor works as expected.

a led on gpio pin 24 (equipment) still works fine.
a led on gpio pin 18 (jack + light) quit working when i added the ds18b20 circuit.

thanks for any help.

1669339733058.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check whats inside:
`ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/*`

reef-pi reads the temperature sensor from there, if theres a 28-xxxxxxx entry then its a reef-pi bug the sensor/linux is working fine. if the file entry is not present then its beyond reef-pi, something related to circuit or else is causing the sensor to drop out of linux .. which is beyond reef-pi (the controller software) and we have to look at physical circuit, boot config (one wire pin, pwm pin configs), reef-pi or dmesg log to see what happens at reef-pi software or kernel/device level when you hit this problem.

can you run those diagnostics and report back?
thank you for trying reef-pi, much appreciate you repoting back these issues.,

OP
OP
C

cmitcham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my original post was not so clear, and i have an additional 8 days of playing/learning now. it is not following guide 3 that kills the guide 1 setup, it is simply powering down the system.

the 1-wire bus and 5 ds18b20 sensors are working fine.

my problem is using the pwm0 pin. every time i shutdown the pi, i have to delete the light and jack and do the configuration again. i found another forum post

that sounds just like what i am seeing. unfortunately for me, his post also mentioned a temp sensor issue and all the replies he received only discussed the temp sensor.

my pwm0 jack and diurnal light is awesome, but i know if for any reason the pi powers down, i will have to delete and re-configure the light...

thanks for any further ideas.

1669940707399.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my original post was not so clear, and i have an additional 8 days of playing/learning now. it is not following guide 3 that kills the guide 1 setup, it is simply powering down the system.

the 1-wire bus and 5 ds18b20 sensors are working fine.

my problem is using the pwm0 pin. every time i shutdown the pi, i have to delete the light and jack and do the configuration again. i found another forum post

that sounds just like what i am seeing. unfortunately for me, his post also mentioned a temp sensor issue and all the replies he received only discussed the temp sensor.

my pwm0 jack and diurnal light is awesome, but i know if for any reason the pi powers down, i will have to delete and re-configure the light...

thanks for any further ideas.

1669940707399.png
apologies for not understanding, why you have to recreate the light after reboot?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back