Food selection for target feeding corals. What's your preferred slurry?

What kind of foods do you prefer to feed your coral?

• Frozen foods

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Fresh prepared foods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pellets

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Powdered particulate foods (Reef Roids etc)

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Aminos

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Selcon

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Tell us in the thread about it!)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love feeding my corals. Since the beginning of my journey in to reefing, watching these mysterious animals reveal a whole feeding apparatus and process when food hits the water has been one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. Be it SPS releasing their feeder tentacles to capture particulate food out of the water column or LPS opening all the way up to eat larger foods, hand feeding my corals remains a favorite activity in my tank and one that entertains not only me but my family and guests that witness the bizarre reality of coral target feeding. I generally hand or baster feed the food to them. What is your preferred method of delivery? My favorite slurry usually involves Tropic Marin LPS pellets, Reef Roids/Reef Chili, frozen food, selcon, phyto of some variety and some aminos for good measure.

How about you?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer liquid mixes. I like reef energy, vitachem, fuel, omega/hufa blends, etc.

I typically prefer these as they don't feed bristle worms and are supposedly require less energy to use. Plus, I don't believe they need to be "caught" like particulate foods and are able to be used by lots of things where as coral food needs to be the right size for a species.

OP
OP
youcallmenny1

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer liquid mixes. I like reef energy, vitachem, fuel, omega/hufa blends, etc.

I typically prefer these as they don't feed bristle worms and are supposedly require less energy to use. Plus, I don't believe they need to be "caught" like particulate foods and are able to be used by lots of things where as coral food needs to be the right size for a species.
That's fair! Do you mostly concern yourself with feeding the wrong microfauna or is it also partially a nutrient issue? That's a very good point about the coral removing what they need from the water as opposed to catching it.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Zooton+ Reef Snow 2x per day, and I alternate between feeding reef roids and oysterfeast. I stopped buying aminos. I feed my sps once a week with pellets.

Back