Foodsafe Outdoor breather filter for skimmer line.

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a part of Florida where outside air has high particulates such as mold, mildew, smog, misquote insecticide, herbicides, etc.

My goal here is to minimize these pollutants with a proper outdoor breather filter.

I have searched online for some kind of medical/food safe breathers and even looked at home brew shops, but have come up with nothing.

Tried automotive breather filters but they reek of petrochemicals.

CO2 scrubbers are too expensive.

Any ideas ? OR should i just use the inside air of the house?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a part of Florida where outside air has high particulates such as mold, mildew, smog, misquote insecticide, herbicides, etc.

My goal here is to minimize these pollutants with a proper outdoor breather filter.

I have searched online for some kind of medical/food safe breathers and even looked at home brew shops, but have come up with nothing.

The insecticide would scare me off to be honest. I would just use house air. If I were to try something, I would likely run outside air through a canister filled with GAC.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only problems would be insecticide or herbicide.
Would a bubbler, outside air sourced, thru a 55 gal drum of water dilute things enough?
Hepa filter and gac cannister?
Sorry can't be more help.

OP
OP
FishGeist

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some hard searching I found this..

air filter.jpg

The question is will the skimmer have enough vac to pull through one of these filled with carbon media and possibly some filter floss.

The blubber idea is very plausible, and could be cheaply made even with some 2 liter bottles. The only thing I'd worry about is arterial buildup of fungus and mold.

Then again comes the problem of getting air through all this without the need to hook up an air pump. (more electricity, more cost)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some hard searching I found this..

air filter.jpg

The question is will the skimmer have enough vac to pull through one of these filled with carbon media and possibly some filter floss.

The blubber idea is very plausible, and could be cheaply made even with some 2 liter bottles. The only thing I'd worry about is arterial buildup of fungus and mold.

Then again comes the problem of getting air through all this without the need to hook up an air pump. (more electricity, more cost)
Air pump required, not enought vac

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back