Fool proof way to get your loved ones to look at your reef tank

Are your loved ones interested in your reef?

• Yes

Votes: 179 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 103 23.9%
  • Somewhat (please explain)

Votes: 149 34.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
E82AA17C-39BE-4E3C-8BD6-1F1846CA3EFB.jpeg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I took my dad to a fish store and he saw the corals he thought I was buying 200 bucks worth the plastic :D Also visitors are always bombarding me with different questions about the fish and coral...pretty funny.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They loved looking at the euphylia and gsp and anything that waved around with the flow. As I slowly moved to all acros and sps they seem to have lost interest while mine has only grown.
Waiting to pull colors out of acros and seeing them grow.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom continues to call all my corals “flowers” :mad: as in “ooh that pink flower is my favorite” and “wow that green flower is getting big” ;Shifty
Same!!
My family loves softies and “moving ones” so as soon as I put acros in I loose interest!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was going to be my hobby but the wife fell in love with it as well. I think she may enjoy it more than I do now, this could be due to the fact that I do the maintenance filthy skimmer cup.....
I’m glad she loves it so much easier spending money on equipment when boss approves.
Once we got our tank cycling oldest son became interested and now has a 32 bio cube cooking .
Seems tanks a popular attraction and first stop for visitors to see what’s grown and changed. I just need to figure out how to pull a Tom Sawyer on them to clean my skimmer

lilbitreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will talk to my boyfriend about the tank and something that is wrong with it, kinda just verbalizing what I am thinking and then he fires back something intelegent. Makes me think he does a lot of research as well and knows more than he is leading on to.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife's the same way about loving the waving corals like my xenia but once it started taking over and I had to rip about half of it out she about slapped me saying, "you took out my favorite one!"
My cleaner shrimp is definitely a crowd favorite though for people that come over and see my tank for the first time.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She likes it enough especially the new wall tank but is not a fan of how much money I spend on fish. My fish food budget is going to be more than my previous fish budget when we started. Lol

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gotta buy a fish that appeals to them....usually something associated with Finding Nemo. Everybody that comes over and sees the tank decides they want a saltwater tank...until they see the sump room lol.

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband likes looking at the fish and corals to the point he can realize if something is wrong. However, he HATES the maintenance and stresses when something does go wrong. He feels it's a money pit and always brings up the Tom Hanks movie where the piano falls through the floor hahaha.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about, or doing reef stuff all the time your spouse is probably going to end up at least moderately interested. Same goes with whatever your spouse is interested in. It really shouldn't be difficult.

As for other family members it can be more hit and miss. My mom will always tell me my corals are looking nice when she comes over. My dad might ask a question or just look at the tank. Having a true display tank in a high traffic area of your home vs a basement home lab helps getting others looking and talking about the tank. They know I love reefs but I spend a lot less time with them so I'm less concerned about talking about reefs during our interactions. When I lived with my parents my mom was fully capable of feeding frozen food and checking on the fish everyday.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom continues to call all my corals “flowers” :mad: as in “ooh that pink flower is my favorite” and “wow that green flower is getting big” ;Shifty

I get it, but she's not into the hobby, so the fact that she notices and makes positive comments would make me happy enough.

They are basically under water flowers IMO. Many, if not most, are photosynthetic in some way. They are alive, but not necessarily an animal. I've always viewed the coral tanks as an under water garden, and often explain or present the corals as a sort of under water flower to the uninitiated when they ask questions. It's a simple way to put them (corals) into perspective for people.

Everyone knows what a plant is. "It's kinda like an under water garden and these are the flowers or plants, if you will... Sunlight above [pointing to lights], filtration below [pointing to sump], growing media is water vs soil for plants, but principal is very similar. They bring in nutrients from the surrounding media, and expel their own kind of waste... very similar to a plant."

"Oohhhhhh! That's so cool!!! I never knew they were photosynthetic!!"

People are curious, and rightfully so... our tanks are beautiful. I try to engage slowly and with simple , but fun explanations that pique interest.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back