For all of those who keep clams in their tanks and those who don't!

Do you currently have a clam in your tank?

• YES (answer the questions in the thread)

Votes: 208 31.0%
  • NO (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 219 32.6%
  • No but plan on adding one

Votes: 245 36.5%

• Total voters

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a beautiful blue maxima for almost 4yrs. I added a nice peaceful, hard working, “doesn’t pick at anything” fish (and my favorite fish, starry blenny) who immediately went after my clam like a dog with a chew toy. Literally pulling pieces of the mantel off and eating it like it was Christmas. When that starry goes I’ll get another.
That's interesting, I have a blue maxima and a starry blenny and have no problems. The blenny often props himself up on the clam like they are buds.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small 2 1/2" T. maxima purple and gold. Sitting on the bottom currently in a shallow tank. Bought it in Sept and I'm slowly moving it to the right place. I'll try to take a crappy pic later. I'll probably buy another soon. My goal is to have 2 or 3 clams.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I have a blue maxima and a starry blenny and have no problems. The blenny often props himself up on the clam like they are buds.

I’ve had multiple starry’s in with clams before, and zero issues. I don’t know what this ones problem was, but he definitely had a taste for clam. Trying to find a pic, but the clam was 6-7 inches and was gone in a day.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue maxima for about six months now. I made a clam hammock so it could attach properly to a rock, but the hammock still gives me the ability to move it easily if I need to for some reason. I have it sitting on a rock at about 250-300 PAR from T5s and Kessil LEDs with medium random flow. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow once the lights are back on.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clam, it came with the live rock, I have no idea what kind it is, it’s alive :)

551D1E31-FF01-4599-995A-A0F3E36E652D.png

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my little guy. I believe he's a blue maxima (if im wrong I'm sure someone will tell me). I bought him about 6 weeks ago at a frag swap -total impulse buy. I was buying some other corals and the seller practically gave him to me. I half expected him to die right away but so far so good. Fingers crossed. Sorry for my lousy photo skills.
fb6995799a405a135d40cbb001c83d42.jpg
0d1a4044e1c492c30846364e88cafbab.jpg

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clams and have successfully cared for many different types through the years. In fact, I would never have a tank without one. For me it adds a beautiful dimension to the reef. Imho it is the perfect reef inhabitant. It filters, feeds, and provides shelter, and they are super cool! Like a giant living photovoltaic cell.

My current and only clam I am keeping now is a Gigas that I've had since Feb. 2008. I designed my current system around it. It is displayed in a 241 gallon tank under a single 250 Watt MH and 2-Hydra 52 HDs. The par values are between 200-250.

29057.jpeg
29555.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clams and have successfully cared for many different types through the years. In fact, I would never have a tank without one. For me it adds a beautiful dimension to the reef. Imho it is the perfect reef inhabitant. It filters, feeds, and provides shelter, and they are super cool! Like a giant living photovoltaic cell.

My current and only clam I am keeping now is a Gigas that I've had since Feb. 2008. I designed my current system around it. It is displayed in a 241 gallon tank under a single 250 Watt MH and 2-Hydra 52 HDs. The par values are between 200-250.

29057.jpeg
29555.jpeg
There's the gigas! Looks great

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to get one but they are not cheap and would hate to lose it as I do not know much about them.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my old T5 fixture to a pair of Radions with the goal of getting one. I'm researching them in- depth now and can hardly wait. I'm not the most patient person but I've been waiting for 3 years at this point. Another few weeks to get it right shouldn't be a problem.

U

User1

View Badges

29057.jpeg
29555.jpeg

Two things always hit me when I see @Troy V 's clam pictures. The first is that it always reminds me how beautiful these are and if done properly can probably be passed down to other interested family members through the years. The second is related to the first :) If something was to happen to me and I had a successful clam like Troy's what would my family do with it. Or better yet are there any public aquariums that would even take it?

I've been to a few and do not recall any with a clam of your size. The two within my area (Monterey and San Francisco) of driving do not have anything like it...thus no clam for me sadly. And I really would like to have one provided I can find something fitting for home aquaria / mixed reefs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grow to big and if it died my wife would force me out of the hobby.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things always hit me when I see @Troy V 's clam pictures. The first is that it always reminds me how beautiful these are and if done properly can probably be passed down to other interested family members through the years. The second is related to the first :) If something was to happen to me and I had a successful clam like Troy's what would my family do with it. Or better yet are there any public aquariums that would even take it?

I've been to a few and do not recall any with a clam of your size. The two within my area (Monterey and San Francisco) of driving do not have anything like it...thus no clam for me sadly. And I really would like to have one provided I can find something fitting for home aquaria / mixed reefs.
Thank you!

This has been an ongoing conversation with my wife. If something was to happen to me, my wishes are to donate it to a public aquarium with a plaque discussing its history. So my children and grandchildren can view it and see my passion. My wife on the other hand, who knows very little about reef aquariums, wants to try and keep the current system going as it is. I feel it is way too much of a burden for her and would add unneeded stress to her life. Especially if the system started to decline. I have already spoken to friends about this and they know my wishes.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing a lot of folks with a lot of misleading info on these animals. I have had probably 30 of them over the past 14 years and I’m sure some one can refute this, but I think the problem is them being sold too small. Never once have I gotten a decent life span out of anything less than 3-4 inches and I don’t mess with anything other than ( in order of hardiness) Derasa, Gigas and Squamosa anymore. I have kept every single species that has been imported. I’m not saying you can’t raise an 1 1/2” clam but unless you devote a tank to them solely, the odds aren’t good. Too much movement, whether it be fish inverts or even a grain of sand can kill them. Also when thin mantled and bite sized, almost any fish may be tempted. Even a slight blast from a power head or bump from a snail can tear their byssal filaments and it’s game over for the little guys. Out in the wild their survival rates are pretty dismal. When you dive their native seas, the bottoms are littered with millions of tiny clam shells. If you can successfully keep any stony coral, and I mean grow it, you can handle a derasa. The only problem is they get friggin huge! Mine is soon to outgrow my 180 gallon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back