For all of those who keep clams in their tanks and those who don't!

Do you currently have a clam in your tank?

• YES (answer the questions in the thread)

Votes: 208 31.0%
  • NO (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 219 32.6%
  • No but plan on adding one

Votes: 244 36.4%

• Total voters

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first clam a maxima at fragtoberfest a little over a month ago. Been doing great, have it placed half way up the scape and took hold and is loving life. From the top down it’s the bluest blue I’ve ever seen in a reef it’s crazy the side shot doesn’t do it justice..

ACDAFFF8-05CF-4035-A8EC-E8174BD8783B.jpeg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope -- Just don't really care for them. They're fine just not my thing. Especially as they'll get big and eventually go sexual which will usually nuke the tank. A local shop had a 400-ish gallon cube completely nuked overnight by a single clam. it was a big clam of course, but still! If it CAN go sexual -- it can do it in someone elses tank.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're really cool but... they can be challenging, they can be killed by hitchhikers, and, most importantly, they get too big too fast.

Oh, and they might outlive my tank.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope -- Just don't really care for them. They're fine just not my thing. Especially as they'll get big and eventually go sexual which will usually nuke the tank. A local shop had a 400-ish gallon cube completely nuked overnight by a single clam. it was a big clam of course, but still! If it CAN go sexual -- it can do it in someone elses tank.

This is why you should always have your clams spayed or neutered. Bob Barker

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Maxima from Petco and it didn't make it long. I would like to try a squamosa but the ones that I like are awfully expensive to try when I have so little experience.
I'd recommend a derasa if you try again. Beautiful and a bit easier on the budget.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd recommend a derasa if you try again. Beautiful and a bit easier on the budget.

I came close to pulling the trigger on one of those from Pacific East Aquaculture's sales and I actually think it's still in my cart now that I think about it. But I'm a bit gun-shy.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried with various species of Tridacna Clams but to no avail in my 5 or 14 gallon Biocube. My thought is that it was not getting enough nutrients even though lighting was ideal and I also added phytoplankton. They were the 2” gem Clams.
When I had my larger tanks they would do much better! I miss not having these beautiful animals in my tank.
Will try again soon!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're really cool but... they can be challenging, they can be killed by hitchhikers, and, most importantly, they get too big too fast.

Oh, and they might outlive my tank.
I think we ought to have a Tridacna challenge. The challenge, should you choose to accept it...to purchase and maintain a Gigas Tridacna and who ever has the largest one after 3 years wins! However, with them attaining 3’ plus in length and hundreds of pounds, y’all might not win the prize!
The prize is a tee shirt with the inscription “ I’m With Clam on the front...Clam Chowder anyone? On the back.
Lol...

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang! I’m going to have to watch it and see what happens! Good thing I have a gray tank just in case!

I have no doubt my copperband would nip at a clam. He nips at my scoly and trachy now.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a beautiful blue maxima for almost 4yrs. I added a nice peaceful, hard working, “doesn’t pick at anything” fish (and my favorite fish, starry blenny) who immediately went after my clam like a dog with a chew toy. Literally pulling pieces of the mantel off and eating it like it was Christmas. When that starry goes I’ll get another.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep too many angels in my sps tank to have a clam. And my LPS tank doesn’t have enough light intensity to host a clam.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's CLAM time whoaaaaa.......

Untitled-5.jpg

Photo via @PacificEastAquaculture

Ok that was dumb but I do have some questions for you! I have a clam coming tomorrow, first for the "new" tank and it got me thinking about how many are actually currently keeping a clam.

1. Do you keep a clam?

2. What type of clam is it?

3. How long have you had it?

4. Where do you have it placed in your tank?

Share a photo of your clam for extra class credit!
I had a crocea and derresa in the past (many, many years ago). Each lived 3-5 years. I now have a maxima (thought it was a crocea). I realized my mistake after it got 3x bigger than a crocea. I’ve had this one located in the sand in the center of the tank for about 5+ years now. It does have a foot and likes to attach to small pieces of rubble in the sand, so I gave it a rather large flat pierce of dead coral to latch on to.

I will post a pic in a few days. My tank is going through a 3 day “black-out” right now.

I find clams to be quite hardy, but my 180 gallon system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back