(for an article) tell me the funniest thing that has ever happened to you related to your aquarium

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too many things I can think of that were funny. I read posts here and elsewhere that I find funny, but that’s probably not what you mean. Back in the old days when i still lugged buckets to do water changes I had, on two occasions that I can recall, fish jump out of the tank and land in the filled buckets next to the tank. A perfect ‘ten’ .... I guess the fish were trying to tell me to do more frequent eater changes if they were that ‘desperate’ for new water.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last home I had a 20g long in an upstairs landing as well as a 40b and below to the right side of the downstairs living room I had an 8' 300g.

I had removed one of the 300g screen sections for feeding and hadn't replaced right away. (as luck would have it)

Since my observation time (to ensure health) was complete of a diamond goby I had in the 40b I decided to transfer as it was going downstairs to a 125g I had in another room.

As soon as I removed the top to the 40b the diamond went sailing several feet into the air (high vaulted ceilings) and I watched in horror as I knew the goby was gonna splat flat from the height. :eek:

Its trajectory landed it in the 2' section of the 300g which I had taken the 2' screen top (had a total of 4) and I saw it land perfectly in the 300g. I would have rated it a 10 for the diving scale. Haha, it remained in the 300g and I got another for the 125g. lol

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture it..You are pulling into your basement garage, and as the door raises you see a puddle of water on the floor and water dripping from the ceiling. Quickly you realize your 75g beautiful reef tank is located right where it's coming from. You rush upstairs to find your tank half empty and your macaw parrot behind the stand bathing himself in the flood he created by pulling the return hose off :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich. DT fallow. QT just done w copper. Water change time. Accidentally used bucket of syphoned DT water to top off QT. Lovely. Now I have 2 sets of buckets w different colours. White for DT. Orange for QT. Fun.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t happen to me but my brother in laws wife was sitting on their couch watching TV about 3 feet from their tank when all of a sudden a fish plopped onto her lap, It had jumped from the tank and made a perfect landing :D

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was gluing frags in the tank.... prior to learning to wear gloves. Unknowingly got a glue glob on he side of a finger. Finished with the frags and then went to tinkle...

Fortunately I always have 2 bottles of Cyanoacrylate debonder close by. But the first few minutes of realizing you can't let go of your peeepee... A lil never wracking.

Then trying to open drawers and dig thru your fish crap to find the right bottle.

The making the decision as to the risk of pouring something that dissolves crazy glue on to your most important and sensitive parts.

Then trying to open the top of the debonder bottle.

And the whole time being terrified of the time you glues 2 fingers together and remember the skin tearing off when you pulled them apart.

GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES...... No Gloves, No Glue Baby !!!

Dave B

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funniest thing that happened to me, i forgot to lock the doors on my stand and my 2 year old decided to play in the water. Big mess lots of cleanup, but she had a big smile on her face

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We used to have a cat that was clearly overbred for looks. When he was a kitten he would sit on the floor by the fish tank and for hours would watch the fish swim back and forth. We decided that it was a good idea to move a kitchen chair in front of the tank so that he could get a better view (he was nowhere near the top so no worries there). A short time later I heard him getting twitchy on the chair, so I quietly stepped into the corner of the room to watch. Finally, he decided to go for it and dove directly into the side of the glass tank.

That was the last time that cat paid attention to any fish for the next 14 years!

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was maybe 10 - we had a small tank - 5 gallons. The fish wasnt moving so I decided to get it move. I hit the front glass with my fist. nothing. I hit it harder - nothing. I hit it with all my strength - a spider crack across the whole front of the tank. I went to my mom and said 'mom do you love me?' she said 'of course' or something like that - I went downstairs - there was a drip of water coming out of the center of the cracked area - I decided to pull the center of the little whole out - and the whole tank exploded all over. She heard and I quickly yelled 'do you still love me'?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did this last night, so it is not funny to me yet (well sort of now that I think of it), but what the heck.

I make my own food for the fishes and store it in the fridge door in a clear tupperware container with a red lid. It is about a 2 cup container at that. Well, I also made some cream cheese and chives dip the other day and put it in a similar container and stored it on the top shelf. Well the wife fed all the fishes yesterday and put the food on the shelf and not the door. I get home from work and go "oooooo cream cheese dip" grab my crackers, grab the dip, go sit down and proceed to eat the dip. Was not the dip and did not notice it until I took a breath after swallowing. All I can say is wow what a taste that would not go away. Now I eat sushi, oily fish, grew up in a very orthodox Jewish household, so I have a strong palette. But wow. Fresh shrimp, raw mussels, clams, oysters, reef roids, amino supplements are not good.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two for you. The first was a knock at the door by two local police officers who asked politely if they could come in. I asked what's the problem? They said a neighbor had reported what they suspected was grow lights (for weed). I walked the officers into my living room and they both chuckled when I showed both of my tanks. The blues at night gave some nosy neighbor reason for concern. Funny the officers stayed for about a half hour just asking questions and checking out Apex and other gear. Who knows maybe a couple of new reefers.

The other is my "In Tank Roomba" (self explanatory)

IMG_6530.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two for you. The first was a knock at the door by two local police officers who asked politely if they could come in. I asked what's the problem? They said a neighbor had reported what they suspected was grow lights (for weed).

Yup, had that happen back in the 90's when I lived in a condo complex. It was this tank …..

2016-05-10 102110.JPG

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding foreign objects in my tanks......... kids toys, assorted food items, kids, cats........

I've also got a wannabe lassie here too. My dog woke me up at 3am the other night barking, went downstairs to see what was going on and found my yellow head jawfish on the floor. Returned it to the tank no worse for the experience but the little blighter bit me for my troubles.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day, after feeding my fish, I went to the kitchen to return the leftover fish food. Turns out I forgot to put the top back. (You know where this is going) In the kitchen I was petting my cat and suddenly she perked up. She heard the "splat" and I didn't. She went to investigate and I followed her. We both saw the yellow tang on the floor at the same time... my cat ran trying to get to that yellow snack and I ran trying to save my yellow snack from the cat. Right as my cat was on the fish, I semi tackled/threw her across the room. I saved the fish and my cat looked at me in anger as I took away her food.
20181202_170158.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back