For my next reef I want a moray, a clown trigger, and a harlequin tusk! Change my mind!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For my next big reef I want a moray, a clown trigger, and a harlequin tusk! Change my mind!

...but here me out first...

I've seen people keep these successfully in a community tank. I'm thinking of guys like @TheDragonsReef @HB AL and @OrionN. If the tank is well-fed and maintenance is on point, I think this could work. Ammirite?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done for sure, but each predator adds a lot more waste compared to other herbivores or omnivores of the same size. So expect more water changes and lots of nutrient export. The clown trigger may also eat coral so ive never wanted to try one in a reef. I also like to have large clean up crews and the triggers always decimate them. No cuc+lots of predators=lots detritus and waste. You may end up needing a large refugium, skimmer and possibly even a denitrator to keep nutrients low enough for lps and sps. Or just large weekly water changes. For reference adding my eel alone in my 75g was enough to send my nitrates from 4ppm to 64ppm+ and phosphates from 0.04 to 1.30ppm in 3 weeks. He was about the size of an adult snowflake at the time. That was with a large algae scrubber and a skimmer rated for 150g. I ended up adding a 15g refugium ontop of the scrubber and 30% water changes weekly to maintain acceptable nutrient levels.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do It Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

then let me know how the harlequin tusk turned out. I have on several occasions considered getting one knowing that it’ll eat my crabs and snails.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back