For those of you coloring up wild tenuis...

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do the polyps develop the bright colors I see in many photos out there?
I have this piece that started out pink on pink with yellow rings inside of the corallite tips.
KIMG0460.JPG

It's starting to get some green on the body and tips are starting to get a little blue as well. Polyps have remained the same color though.
Either way... Excited to see how this turns out!

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Take a pic with only your blues on and orange filter. That could indicate potential. i wouldnt expect much under whites for that tenuis variant unless the body goes green/blue....

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The body is definitely getting some green and tips are turning blue. it is much more obvious under actinic lighting. For some reason, the orange filter just washes out with actinic only. Probably my crappy cell phone camera.

It has only been in my tank a month or so, but I'm definitely seeing some changes in body coloration. Just no change in the polyps.
Hence, the question posed above.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not as many as you think. Most Tenuis polyps are pretty boring under normal light besides a few like SCOP, HW, WD.. all the newer ones you see with crazy glowing polyps are usually just shades of brownish/tan colors that pop under blue LED with filters. The skin or tissue color however can become pretty colorful on most of these given the right conditions and time

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly, wild colonies never color up for me but if I frag them, they grow out and the colors change.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, that is interesting! Might have to give that a try after this thing is good and settled in.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, that is interesting! Might have to give that a try after this thing is good and settled in.
Honestly it's not very common. It generally takes at least 6 months for them to fully settle and color up. Most of the ones I bring in do not develop crazy colors, but every now and then you get a real gem like this one that I've had for over a year. EA Catalina Wine Mixer:

EA Catalina Wine Mixer Frag Blues Orange-2.jpg
EA Catalina Wine Mixer.jpg

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green is starting to show up better in daylight. Might just be my wishful thinking, but I would just about swear the polyps are taking on a bit of an orange color under actinic lighting.
The yellow corallite rings are cool too!
KIMG0516.JPG

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to wait for new growth. Also, not all tenuis are super colorful. If it is mari, then you can bet that the awesome ones are picked over by the people in the chain of custody and sold for more. Is that a mari plug, or something that you made out of putty?

When we have gotten boxes of wild tenuis, 1-2 out of 10 are nice, 6 or 7 are decent and a few are just turds.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to wait for new growth. Also, not all tenuis are super colorful. If it is mari, then you can bet that the awesome ones are picked over by the people in the chain of custody and sold for more. Is that a mari plug, or something that you made out of putty?

When we have gotten boxes of wild tenuis, 1-2 out of 10 are nice, 6 or 7 are decent and a few are just turds.
It is a maricultured piece from LA. That's probably a good point about the good ones being picked over. Never thought of it that way. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I swear I'm seeing some more color come out of it, but it could be wishful thinking.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sadly it didn't make it. I tried to frag it up and most of them were gone by the next day. One held on for a week or so, but just slowly withered away.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sadly it didn't make it. I tried to frag it up and most of them were gone by the next day. One held on for a week or so, but just slowly withered away.
Unfortunately that's Par for the course... It's one of the main reasons that I am against purchasing freshly imported wild and maricultured corals. Sorry for your loss.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back