For those of you that collect mud and other "seed" material you thoughts are needed.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have an opportunity to leave the snowy mountains for a trip to the warm beach this April. i would love to collect and bring back some "seed" bac. and biodiversity form the ocean for my new tank. cycling as I type this.

I used dry rock and dry sand but am I am believer in the natural method of reefing.

i hope to get some LR from KP once it's in stock again and will fed live white worms. but thought I might as well bring back a small jar of mud and or sand. in my checked baggage. nothing to crazy to just to add a little biodiversity and help seed it and start me off on the right foot.

so the question is what should I be looking for as the "best" place to collect? any tips and tricks from the pros out there collecting mud and LS?
any dos and don't s?

@Paul B what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I recall @Paul B doing this with some frequency so tagging him.

I'd say scout out some spots that contain/sustain animals similar to those you wish to stock. The on your last day scoop some stuff. Be aware that this might not be particularly legal in some jurisdictions. You can also take a gander at ipsf.com for some packages they can assemble for you.

Is this for the 10' build you were pondering a few weeks ago?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I recall @Paul B doing this with some frequency so tagging him.

I'd say scout out some spots that contain/sustain animals similar to those you wish to stock. The on your last day scoop some stuff. Be aware that this might not be particularly legal in some jurisdictions. You can also take a gander at ipsf.com for some packages they can assemble for you.

Is this for the 10' build you were pondering a few weeks ago?

yeh i have read a few threads where paulb show where he collects in long island. I am sure i'll find some good places.

as far as legality goes I dont think they would have a problem tank as 4oz of dirt and mud but I guess I should look into it to be sure. that would be the smart think to do,

no I wish the 10 footer is a few years out but i do have a nice RS 650P up staid between the great room and the living room.

we just did a 85% upstairs home reno so the unfinished basement will have to stay that way for a while. but that is where the FOWLR will go the wifie just don't know about that one yet. :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh i have read a few threads where paulb show where he collects in long island. I am sure i'll find some good places.

as far as legality goes I dont think they would have a problem tank as 4oz of dirt and mud but I guess I should look into it to be sure. that would be the smart think to do,

no I wish the 10 footer is a few years out but i do have a nice RS 650P up staid between the great room and the living room.

we just did a 85% upstairs home reno so the unfinished basement will have to stay that way for a while. but that is where the FOWLR will go the wifie just don't know about that one yet. :)
The 650P is such a great tank. I manage one for a friend.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulfliverock.com has some available right now.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 650P is such a great tank. I manage one for a friend.
thank you love it so far. I have always wanted a large peninsula tank!
Gulfliverock.com has some available right now.
I have read mixed reviews on them. i'll go a deeper dive if KP does not get there back in stock soon.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which "warm beach" are you going to. That could determine was kinds of good stuff to bring back. I am on the Texas coast so well versed on what we have here.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In California you can’t touch a Tide Pool, might be very difficult explaining you didn’t actually get it from a Tide Pool. Florida is about as bad anymore. To collect, there, way back when, you need the minimum of a fishing license. I found out you can pick up trash, with marine life attached, with no problem. IE Glass, Plastic, Styrofoam, etc. If they look in the bucket, just tell you are picking up trash. If you get Permission/Permit to collect fish, do not put them directly in a Styrofoam Cooler. It is rough enough to rub the scales off them. The Big Bubbles Battery operated pumps are great. I bought live rock that came right out of the oceans, from an aquaculture permit holder. This was some twenty years ago. Transported it back to Maryland, I still have that rock growing out. if you do this make sure you get them to write up a detailed long invoice form.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I read this, I live right on Barnagat Bay here in New Jersey. Right off my back yard I pick up clumps of various algae/ seaweed with 10’s of thousands of bugs all over and wondered if should put in my tank. My plan this year was to try qt the algae/ bugs for awhile before put in sump. But may just go for it. I am thinking this because I know I am lacking some bac Strains. But that’s for a different conversation. I want to put in mud for bacteria diversity

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back