For those that have successful long term clownfish pairs, what size were they at the starting point?

For those that have successful long term clownfish pairs, what was your starting point?

• One large, one small

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Same size (both small-ish)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Same size (both large-ish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • None (I just want to see the results)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting point as in when the male and female were first present in the aquarium together, I suppose. Whether you bought them together or added one after the other. Feel free to elaborate as needed, I did not want to clutter the poll too much. On the same token, feel free to select as many options as make sense to you, i.e. if you have multiple pairs. Feel free to elaborate on how many of which you had success with, how long, etc. as well. :D

And obviously the poll is directed at those that have kept clown pairs for a while.

I know there are those that keep more than two as a harem or whatever. I am mostly just curious about when there are two clownfish and they have paired up.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 7 year old that's maybe 4" or more and added to larger display with a 1.5" maroon that had been in for a few weeks. I have dozens of anemones also so that may have helped but there wasn't any aggression at all and the little guy cautiously approached and was accepted no problem.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 inch female with a 1.5 inch male thats been together for about 2 years now i added the big one first and saw a little guy i couldnt pass up on and just added him and got lucky with them being pairs now for a while

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a gold maroon female for about 2ish years before introducing a small goldflake maroon male. Of course since they were maroons there was lots of aggression but they sorted it out, thankfully. They both are still small (but ya know maroons get huge) but the female is definetely larger. Bought her female too.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one clown for a while then added another about half it's size. I don't know that they immediately paired, but they did tolerate each other. It took a few years, but now they lay eggs a couple times a month.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

For those who started with two clowns of the same size, can I get more input from you guys if possible? :D How did they fair?

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair was 9 years old. Small juvenile ocellaris with slightly bigger juvenile that became the female. You can slightly see them in the corner. They mated regularly every 12-14 days.

I was the Finding Nemo generation of reefers. Before that movie I was a fresh water only guy.
A7510B9D-85AD-44C8-A8A2-E76D075EAF81.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back