For those wanting to add AWC, what's your plan?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to add an AWC to my tank. It's cycling and the first fish just got into QT yesterday, so I certainly have some time. It seems I have a few options.

What I'd like to do is get two (or a 4-pack of) Versa pumps, but those have been out of stock for, what, nearly a year now. I'm hearing March, I'm hearing June, I'm hearing they're sending a few out here and there, but your guess is as good as mine.

The next option seems to be a pair of Kaomer X2S pumps, but those seem to have been out of stock for just as long.

I believe the GHL 2.1 Doser is standalone and is up to the task, but at nearly $500 it's pretty pricey.

The Litermeter III appears to be pretty common, but if I'm reading their website correctly, I'd need to get the dosing system and the remote pump (right?), again, at about $500.

Which brings me to the DOS. I don't have an Apex which means I'd be shelling out about $800 just to get started ($500 for the ApexEL + $300 for the DOS). I've been avoiding the Neptune ecosystem partly because I don't want to be tied to so much (expensive) proprietary equipment and partly because I see a posts about hardware failures. It's not uncommon to read about people keeping extra power bars on hand because they break so often. I'm not totally against it as I like the idea of code based controlling (and I have a halfway decent background in programming/coding), it's the hardware side that scares me off.

I should also mention that noise, internet connectivity, programming etc, are all nice features, but not a big deal. I have no problems with simply hitting a button once a day or putting it on a mechanical timer.

So....is there something I'm missing here or is everyone in the same boat I am, waiting for Ecotech or Kaomer to start selling their pumps again.

PS, I've looked into Stenner pumps, but they seem really expensive as well, unless I'm not looking at the right ones.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you can get good deals on older masterflex pumps, which is what I use. My old one doesn't have any fancy features, it's just simply on or off with a timer and it is loud so if the pump is going to be near the tank it's not a good choice. Otherwise they are really well built.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to take a [closer] look at them. IIRC they were similarly priced to Stenner pumps and I was hoping not to spend $500-$1000 to avoid lugging buckets of water around.
As for sound, it'll be in my basement*, so unless I can't hear over the TV with it on, having something, even moderately loud, shouldn't be a huge deal. Especially if it's only running for 20 (or whatever) minutes a day. Besides, hearing a pump reminds me to check the water level in the buckets.

*Of course it should be noted that Osmolator Tunze pumps are small and quiet but with the way my house is set up, I can hear it whining every all throughout the day...though that high pitched whining it makes doesn't help either.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my masterflex used on ebay for a little less than $200, but again it is a very old model. I have mine in my utility room beside the living room and through a block wall I can hear it hum if the TV isn't on. The only thing I dislike about mine is that it is a multi channel pump and there isn't any decent way to adjust flow to match up the in and out, so I have to mix my saltwater a little over 35ppt and let my ato make up the difference because I pull out slightly more water than I put in. I do like that if the pump were to fail it stops both water going in and out of the tank. Most hobby grade pumps use a single motor per head.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuous water change using two dosing pumps, one in, one out. Water level sensors in the mixing tank. Water level sensors in the tank.

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Daddy said. Yes have some $ tied up in all the Neptune equipment but after getting it all setup it really does make things much simpler. You spend the $800 (I bought my EL and DOS for $650) but you still need the sensors but you kind of need them anyways. Figured swallow the $ and setup issues now but future will be well worth the investment because expandability.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuous water change using two dosing pumps, one in, one out. Water level sensors in the mixing tank. Water level sensors in the tank.
A lot of dosing pumps seem to suggest they're designed to pump in the ml range, not a gallon a day. Do you have any recommendations?
I got my masterflex used on ebay
I'll have to take another look at masterflex. Though not being able to calibrate it, I could imagine, would turn into a bit of a headache. I do see two headed models, but it sounds like that's what you have (based on your mention of both heads stopping if there's a problem).
What Daddy said. Yes have some $ tied up in all the Neptune equipment but after getting it all setup it really does make things much simpler. You spend the $800 (I bought my EL and DOS for $650) but you still need the sensors but you kind of need them anyways. Figured swallow the $ and setup issues now but future will be well worth the investment because expandability.
I know, I know. I was just hoping for a different (better?) solution. If it wasn't for all the people saying the hardware is unreliable, I would have purchased it much earlier on. I just keep hearing about the power bars failing or the probes needing to be replaced etc.
I still have some time, so I'm still hoping I can can score some versa pumps before the tank is fully up and running.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to take another look at masterflex. Though not being able to calibrate it, I could imagine, would turn into a bit of a headache. I do see two headed models, but it sounds like that's what you have (based on your mention of both heads stopping if there's a problem).
Mine actually takes cartridges and can fit 4 of them, although I only use 2, and to buy a few cartridges would cost as much as I paid for the whole thing.
It definitely has the advantage of being very well made and head pressure is not an issue, but it has the big downside of not much in way of controls.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the GHL or the litermeter. You can use the GHL maxi-dose. Those pumps are a little more stout than the 4 unit model.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on using the Dos. I got a good deal on an apex base unit so all in I should be able to set up it for under $500. As for the energy bars, I plan on getting the EB8 rather than the 832. I hear a lot of complaints about the EB832 but not as much about the EB8. I had an EB8 on the Apex lite for 5-6 years with no issues then I sold it.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see way too many complaints about Apex stuff. Im going to go with GHL for my big tank. Gonna order the profilux 4 soon to test it out on my sons 30 Nuvo. If I like the way it performs I'll move that to the big tank when its complete. Then probably use the 4e on my sons tank since it won't require all that horsepower.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the GHL or the litermeter. You can use the GHL maxi-dose. Those pumps are a little more stout than the 4 unit model.
I thought it was decided that the maxi dose was discontinued. In either case, it's not available right now. As for the litermeter, I've looked at that option and if I'm understanding it correctly (and maybe I'm not), i would need the Litermeter III Precision Dosing System and a remote pump, right? Those two options things, together, will cost nearly $600. The Apex EL and DOS, as much as I'm currently attempting to avoid the Neptune ecosystem are $800. It's tough to buy a $600 AWC when for $200 more, I can get an AWC and basic Apex kit.

My first fish still have at least 30 days in the QT so I've got a whole lot of time to worry about this. I'm hoping something makes the decision easier. Either some big Neptune sale or the Maxi Dose or Versa pumps showing back up in the next month or two.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see way too many complaints about Apex stuff.
Me too. That's my issue. If all I heard were good things, I'd have no problem buying it, but they seem to have a lot of hardware issues. It seems every website that sells them is full of bad reviews (mostly about the energy bars breaking, but other things as well) and people keep replacing them because the Apex is so integrated into their setup.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plans were to use Litermeter but since those are no longer available and a replacement in nowhere insight I am not sure what my plan will be.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping something makes the decision easier. Either some big Neptune sale or the Maxi Dose or Versa pumps showing back up in the next month or two.
I also heard on another thread that the ghl maxi dosing pump has been discontinued.
Don't expect a sale for neptune other than around Thanksgiving time.
As for the versa pumps I tried about 9 months ago to find some and after a few months of looking and being on waiting lists I gave up.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears they are sold out everywhere. I guess I never spent enough time looking into it to realize that. With Litermeter, GHL and Versas all sold out everywhere, I'm curious if they have some (or a lot of) parts that all come from the same supplier. I would think, even with the Pandemic raging on, *someone* would get a skeleton crew together so they could start getting these out the door. Not only because with the other brands not being on the shelves means they could easily bump their price and make some money, but also, think about how many people are going to get tired of waiting and buy a DOS. If a new aquarium owner buys a DOS, they're also going to get an Apex and they'll be considerably less likely to even look at GHL/Versa(Ecotech)/Spectrapure pumps, or their controllers, in the future. Seems that could hit someone like Ecotech particularly hard.

Having said that, if the parts or people aren't available, it is what it is. I understand, just frustrated like everyone else. Luckily my tank and sump probably hold a total of 50-60 gallons, so it's not like water changes will be a particularly big deal, especially if I do smaller ones more often. Pulling two gallons out and dumping two gallons in can be done in about 30 seconds and without shutting anything off other than the ATO.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a litermeter one pump fresh, one salt , and one waste. Did not know they are no longer available, did they go out of business?

Been sold out for months. Was told that a new system was coming but no timeline on that.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the apex and the dos. I run awc and 2 part and they perform great. Only complaint is they are kind of loud. Also my apex is great, totally worth the investment. So far my eb832 has been holding up but i did recently pick up the older style eb4 to run a few things. I figure if my eb832 dies i can run heaters and lights on the eb4 until i can get an eb832 replacement.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back