For those who battled dino's... How long did you wait to restock?

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted here probably a month back, maybe longer with a battle with dino's. Long story short (for personal reasons, life change) I needed a hobby, had salt tanks before and decided that's where i wanted to invest my time and focus due to circumstances. I moved quickly with Fritz Turbo Start, added coral not long after, monitored and manually dosed and had the level of stability early on I had coraline growth and coral growth beginning to encrust from frag to rock with some monti's and a stylo. I intended to have a large bioload so I used a skimmer albeit inefficiently that targetted a large bioload for that tank size. I also ran GFO after watching a video on ways to expedite the ugly face (tank too small for tangs). End result, after refreshing GFO i zeroed out and dinos's took over.

I took measures to reduce light, stop skimming, stop gfo, added a uv sterilizer in DT, scrubbed rockwork and sand siphoning into filter sock and very quickly my dino battle was over.

Within a few days I lost two clowns, a week or two later the majority of other fish and inverts began to succumb from the toxins (purple firefish, tails spot, bangai, six line) and surprising the remaning survivor is a YWG. I've basically left the tank to do as it will while still feeding the YWG.

On that same post another user explained the same experience before it fully happened to me and had a GHA algae explosion. Now I am experiencing a GHA explosion. At this point I'm in no rush to restock and build back up on corals but is there a good gold standard on how long is a sufficient time to wait beyond Dino's before stocking beyond ensuring appropriate water parameters? I'd like to add a CUC and blenny to work on the GHA over time until I decide to add something at a later date. This is my first experience with Dino's and the toxins they add to the water column so I'm not sure what a safe timeframe is to introduce anything to the tank. I literally lost the six-line and tail spot over a month after Dino's where visibly gone; they just hid and refused to eat a few weeks after the dino's were gone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I waited additional week to assure they were truly gone

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back