For those who have switched from filter socks to filter cups with floss

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What floss do you use, and where are you getting it. I want to find a cheap supply of safe floss since I will be changing it often.

Thank you!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never thought of doing this, but i like the idea more so than filter socks. I don't trust my washing machine enough to wash filter socks, so throwing them away so often I view as incredibly wasteful. With the floss, you could rinse it out and prob run the same floss for a month at a time.

Any sort of aquarium sponge or floss should do fine. You can get 312 sq inches from chewy for $5 https://www.chewy.com/marineland-ma...K2e2S15xCmpysDTYI1afTnMaHZkOTCKBoCec4QAvD_BwE

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use polyester batting at walmart. Just make sure to rinse it really well some of them have fire proof chemicalls in it. If you dont you skimmer overflows for days.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from drs foster and smith, 1 pound bag which is allot for 9.99, seri-something can’t remember the name, I cut about 4” across then cut that in half for two 4” filter cups, can’t put too much in or they will clog and overflow fast , been using for months, one bag will last as least two months changing at least twice a week!!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 100 micron mesh socks. Don’t clog as easily as felt and cleans up easily with a quick rinse in the sink.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bag of 'Poly Fil" brand . The bag says hypo allergenic 100% polyester fiber. Nothing says fire retardant nor can I smell any fragrance. You think it's ok to use?

Last edited:

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poly fil is safe. If you read the bag it will say if it has fire retardant chemicals. Most poly fill does not.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup polly fill here to cheap and works great. Can use in in a HOB filter as Well.
Thanks ! I want to use it for an HOB for the QT . I will rise it out good before stuffing !

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cups. Use the floss w the blue fine side. I cut 1 1/2 inch wide by 10” lond strips. I then loosely role it into a circle and place at the bottom of the cups. Works the best. Give it a try, you will continue this way. Can almost promise!

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot role too tightly, Nice and loose. I started out cutting it about 3-4 inch wide but found I was merely wasting floss. It clogs up only the first inch before it backed up flow. So the 1 1/2 is perfect.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a quality floss material because it's better to buy a cheap type and throw it away and replace with new rather than rinsing it.

There are a few different sellers on Amazon that sell a 10ft x 12" roll of 3/4-1" floss from $11-$14 (free shipping).

Doing it this way is much easier. You cut what you need off the 10 foot roll to pack the media cup and toss it when it's done.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread! I ordered a filter cup made by Red Sea, fits perfectly in the filter sock holder. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-filter-media-cup-red-sea.html

I filled mine with polyfil pillow batting from Wally World. If I like as much as I think I'll replace the other two. One thing I like immediately is that it eliminated my only source of noise in my system (falling water in to the clean socks).

eddawse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good thread.
I feel alot can be learnt from the opinions and experiences here!

One thing I am curious about re the filter floss and cups scenario;
Would it be easier again to fill cups with media of some sort, and rather than floss in each cup, a flat piece laying atop all the cups (I have reefer 625 so will lay ontop of all 4 cups in filter sock section).

Obviously the water flowing in from the feed lines will majority go through one side, so the filter square could be rotated as required until all 4 edges have been used, then removed and cleaned or replaced?

Just trying to further expedite the maintenance processes of course!

Back