For you that aren’t on GHLs Facebook group: A request for an ION D video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to point out a few things after reading this thread.

GHL are a much more technical/scientific focussed company that Neptune Systems. Neptune are heavy on the marketing & glam while GHL are heavy on the technical design & production.

Europeans (especially Germans) are far far more conservative when it comes to releasing information. While in the US there is more a release early and sue if they copy, europeans will stick to counsel advice and only provide information when they have been informed by their counsel that they can. This generally means when the patent(s) are completed rather than mid process.

European companies will 'tend' to be more black and white when it comes to decision making as well. Where a US company might capitulate to market pressure to release information early, a german company will more likely stick to their original plan and only release information after a pre-agreed milestone. (Pros and cons with both)

During the delay due to COVID-19, GHL used the time to enhance the ION director (which will benefit every user) based on more information being made available to them. This in turn may well have required more patents to be required.

The ultimate priority is an accurate & reliable product. OK, the communication could have been better but I think hands have been tied regarding this. If I have $100 to invest I would prefer an accurate & reliable product delivered late than one less accurate and/or reliable delivered on time. You don't get bullsh$t with GHL, they're very fact based and while probably very disappointed with themselves for not delivering the product earlier, know that delivering the right product is more important.

On a totally personal note I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new feature being announced as well which would be another reason why they have kept so quiet.

Thanks,

James

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well James I am not going to get into any of that, I just know that the end of the month is a week from now, so if we don't see a video by then it's
rojytdqp2aq41.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I did not notice before is that this unit has either a different probe or probe holder on it.
The one that is working is different from the other two that are just props in the background.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I did not notice before is that this unit has either a different probe or probe holder on it.
The one that is working is different from the other two that are just props in the background.

Hopefully it won't stick out much more to the right more than the KH Director as I have limited space!

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the box in the background? Because I agree that with you that it the holder is different than the khd and box iond. I went to look for previous photos but didn't look to hard.

I wonder if it is keyed and a easier to secure fit than the current style? Maybe it could be to avoid crushing the probe?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One has the regular low profile black probe holder and the other one is white, sticks out more and looks like PVC.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully with another bottle this means another test added like phosphate or something
I highly doubt that Phosphate is possible. I went over this before but in a nutshell a phosphate ion is Trivalent and is of such a low reading in mV that it can easily become masked by Valent ions in a complex soup like aquarium water. Also pH is a big factor in how it relates to phosphate ion readings. And lastly the kind of crazy low Phosphate that we are trying to read in our tanks would make the whole thing even more challenging.

There are one or two Ion based Phos probes on the market but as far as I know they are not very good and they are mainly meant for reading diluted soil in Agricultural. I guess that tells you how high the Phos readings have to be to get some useful numbers.

My money is on Ammonia as it is easy to read.

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weren't we going down to 1 calibration bottle? That is implied on the facebook thread and it looks like the drain is gravity powered

The production photos of the front panel (posted in May) still showed 2 reference solution inputs A & B. The reduction in doser pumps required (from 4 to 3) is likely due to the waste water being able to go back into the aquarium. I would imagine that now the 1st dosing pump (which pumps test water into the IOND) also pushes the waste water out. With regards to the halving of reference solution required, it's just that, halving the amount required rather than going from 2 to 1 reference solutions.

If Ammonia is now being tested for it will means the Seneye is just a PAR meter for any IOND users.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The production photos of the front panel (posted in May) still showed 2 reference solution inputs A & B. The reduction in doser pumps required (from 4 to 3) is likely due to the waste water being able to go back into the aquarium. I would imagine that now the 1st dosing pump (which pumps test water into the IOND) also pushes the waste water out. With regards to the halving of reference solution required, it's just that, halving the amount required rather than going from 2 to 1 reference solutions.

If Ammonia is now being tested for it will means the Seneye is just a PAR meter for any IOND users.
I agree, the waste water can easily be put back into the tank. It’s actually not even waste water since nothing is added to it. It’s just sample water! I wonder why they did not think about this from the start?

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the waste water can easily be put back into the tank. It’s actually not even waste water since nothing is added to it. It’s just sample water! I wonder why they did not think about this from the start?

It's german conservatism - unless they categorically they know it's safe they're not going to recommend it. I guess they had further time to test the 'waste' water and are happy that it is safe.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In July they posted this image on their blog
IOND_Measurements_2020-07-10.jpg

which likely misconstrued as going down to 1 reference bottle.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be nice if they did another presale since it took so long for it to actually come out lol
That would not go over very well with all the people who have paid and been waiting for about 9 months now. I will buy one after a few reviews come out but I am not super worried about a lack of supply.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's german conservatism - unless they categorically they know it's safe they're not going to recommend it. I guess they had further time to test the 'waste' water and are happy that it is safe.
Duh your right, I forgot that they have to pump out the calibration fluid. Makes sense though that it could go into the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back