For you that aren’t on GHLs Facebook group: A request for an ION D video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still a little patience, I am confident that we will not regret our investment and that there will be an announcement soon. :)
Please forgive my persistence, but can you clarify what ‘soon’ means? days, weeks, months? I don’t really care which it is, but I’m sure there are others in a similar boat where we are making purchasing decisions and it’s very difficult to keep the ION Director in mind with the delays already experienced and replies that are quite vague to be honest (waiting for patent, autumn, soon).

I did not put any money down, so I have less stake in it other than wanting to believe your producing a great product. I hope GHL understands they’ve had exceptional patience from customers who haven’t asked for refunds. I salute their endurance in this story.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive my persistence, but can you clarify what ‘soon’ means? days, weeks, months? I don’t really care which it is, but I’m sure there are others in a similar boat where we are making purchasing decisions and it’s very difficult to keep the ION Director in mind with the delays already experienced and replies that are quite vague to be honest (waiting for patent, autumn, soon).

I did not put any money down, so I have less stake in it other than wanting to believe your producing a great product. I hope GHL understands they’ve had exceptional patience from customers who haven’t asked for refunds. I salute their endurance in this story.

I cannot answer for them (I am not GHL ...) but I think "soon" it will be in the next coming days / weeks.
For the requested video it was announced that they would not release it until the patenting process is complete. And indeed if we do research on the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) database we can not find anything for the moment so either I'm searching it wrong or it's still in progress :).
I understand the disappointment due to the delay for the video but I guess they were not aware of these delays in the patenting process when GHL announced the video for the end of September.
But this does not change anything regarding the delivery date announced for the first orders in fall, in my humble opinion the patenting process does not slow down production, it only delays technical details public release. Only parts / raw material supply difficulties could delay delivery.

Stay confident,
Gaël

Herbster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot answer for them (I am not GHL ...) but I think "soon" it will be in the next coming days / weeks.
For the requested video it was announced that they would not release it until the patenting process is complete. And indeed if we do research on the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) database we can not find anything for the moment so either I'm searching it wrong or it's still in progress :).
I understand the disappointment due to the delay for the video but I guess they were not aware of these delays in the patenting process when GHL announced the video for the end of September.
But this does not change anything regarding the delivery date announced for the first orders in fall, in my humble opinion the patenting process does not slow down production, it only delays technical details public release. Only parts / raw material supply difficulties could delay delivery.

Stay confident,
Gaël

I can only see a trademark for the name Ion Director (with Ion obviously not being singularly trademarked). Interestingly there is an ongoing trademark for the name 'VERSIA' which is a pump!

Last edited:

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James Cameron must be doing a real number on this video. Will most definitely be Academy Award worthy given how long it's taking.

That been said... I'm past waiting for some video with spinning pumps and arbitrary numbers popping up on a screen. I've been super patient (as have most), but enough is enough. I think we are all now entitled to a definite delivery date and/or an actual explanation.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a track record, but hardly a flawless one.

I think if GHL could do this over again they obviously wouldn't have rolled this out the way it has, but lets not have revisionist history on how the Trident came to market. That was a total mess, and honestly was the final thing that made me abandon their platform.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has a track record, but hardly a flawless one.

I think if GHL could do this over again they obviously wouldn't have rolled this out the way it has, but lets not have revisionist history on how the Trident came to market. That was a total mess, and honestly was the final thing that made me abandon their platform.
I totally agree. This also implies that whenever ION D hits the market we should assume it will have growing pains. I don’t own Neptune or GHL products, so I have no favoritism. But I do need a product soon and as the saying goes, a bird in hand (APEX) is better than two in the bush (ION D)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point we should have already seen a video for the old Ion Director which I guess is still being patented even though it was supposed to be on the market 9 months ago :confused: and we also should have heard a release date for the new Ion Director. I have been using a Trident for 6 months now and I am starting to question the need for an Ion Director. I already have Ca and Mg so the only one that interest me is Nitrate and maybe Sodium. This kind of doubt is what creeps in when you have waited so long for something that you question the items value instead of just looking forward to owning it.

Last edited:

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have preordered the Ion Director and asked several times for an update on the Facebook page to which I got no valid reply, their customer relations are appalling. I’m very close to cancelling the Ion director and returning the g4 and staying with Apex

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have preordered the Ion Director and asked several times for an update on the Facebook page to which I got no valid reply, their customer relations are appalling. I’m very close to cancelling the Ion director and returning the g4 and staying with Apex
Latests official answers from GHL (today) : https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?15738-ION-Director&p=95304#post95304

"Currently it is still planned to start delivery by the end of autumn. More detailed information will be available soon."
"End of autumn is on December 21. So delivery should start by then at the latest."

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off because the long term reliability factor of the Apex is just not good when compared to the Profilux.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. This also implies that whenever ION D hits the market we should assume it will have growing pains. I don’t own Neptune or GHL products, so I have no favoritism. But I do need a product soon and as the saying goes, a bird in hand (APEX) is better than two in the bush (ION D)
Trident and IOND aren't even in the same league. Different test methods and different parameters tested.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trident and IOND aren't even in the same league. Different test methods and different parameters tested.
You forgot available versus year-long promise.

They both test Ca and Mg, but IOND adds NO3/Sodium/Potassium (nice) but Trident offers Alk (more important in my eyes). I know there's KH director at extra cost. How accurate and reliable IOND will be remains to be determined well after it comes to market

Anyway, if IOND didn't offer something exciting, there wouldn't be people complaining about it being delayed.

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"more detailed information will be available soon"... really?... we're still being fed this crap? Seems the word "soon" is highly subjective and now Autumn is been dragged out until the very last day! Convenient much? Also, "SHOULD start by then", not will.

Still No video
Still No more information
Still No formal release date

This is total garbage and a disgusting way to treat any customer base, let alone one that is predominately as fiercely loyal as GHL's.

Also, for those who try and compare this to the whole Tident thing, I don't recall Neptune promising a release date and taking fully paid pre-orders on that basis. Let's also not forget how many times the excuse from GHL has morphed over the last year.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COVID has added an uncertainty to everything and release dates. Your seeing this on TV shows, movies and so forth so this does lead to a portion of the delay.

Videos are coming, extensive testing has and is being done. One thingI have learned is GHL is very through.

I have confidence that in November you will begin to see information and videos of the units in action. :)

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COVID has added an uncertainty to everything and release dates. Your seeing this on TV shows, movies and so forth so this does lead to a portion of the delay.

Videos are coming, extensive testing has and is being done. One thingI have learned is GHL is very through.

I have confidence that in November you will begin to see information and videos of the units in action. :)
Very hard not to get frustrated Ditto. It's not the reasons that are necessarily the problem, it's the communication (or lack thereof). It's just not on to take hundreds of thousands of dollars of preorder money globally, then be practically silent for nearly a year. They have yet to deliver anything as promised. Even the video that was peronsally promised by Mathias by the end of Sept never surfaced (and that little teaser trailer teaser does not count... or was that it?).

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ditto I have no doubt that GHL is trying to make sure the product is reliable and well made.
My problem is the fact that we asked for a simple video of the original unit working and were told by the end of September we would have it. Now it is the end of October and nothing!

It really feels like they don't care what we want, it's more like we will give you what we feel like giving you when we want to. There is nothing wrong with that attitude if you don't have peoples money.
This is very similar to the Mindstream situation but it differs a lot in that SAI had videos of the product working and more importantly they had a user base on the forum that actually had units in their hands and showed us data and graphs.

So that brings us to the other issue that is before us, the question of whether the IonD actually works at all and especially over the long term. No one has seen one in operation and we have just been going on GHLs good reputation that it can work, but at some point you have to give the customer something to make them keep the faith. Reinforcing the lack of faith issue is fact that there is not a single Ion probe based device that has been promised that has actually come to the market.

I really do not want to dissuade people from buying this device, I want to get one myself but it's puzzling to me that GHL will not even give an inch and just show us a simple video. And no I don't buy the Patent argument. Even if there was something on this device that still needed to be patented it would be an internal process and no one is asking them to show the inside of the device.

Last edited:
Back