For you that aren’t on GHLs Facebook group: A request for an ION D video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I went with Apex.
I don't think this statement is true in the long run... you're talking about a controller when we're discussing an automated tester. If by glad you went apex you meant trident, then I think that the ionD is going to beat it 10 times out of 10.

Most of the frustration isn't that they wont eventually have a good product, I think it stems from being kept in the dark and them hiding behind the approval of a patent. The longer GHL maintains radio silence, the better the ionD has to be right out the gate. It's a tall order and every day that passes raises expectations even higher. By the time this does roll out we will expect a flawless experience that I don't think they will be able to provide.

Hopefully I'm wrong... I they blow my socks off.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol!
It's a freaking device that monitor your tank water parameters. You guys act like your life is depending on it. Go do something useful instead of crying and whining for something that will make little change to your reef tank. It's a nice to have. I'll get it when it's ready. But my tank and me is doing just fine without it.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol!
It's a freaking device that monitor your tank water parameters. You guys act like your life is depending on it. Go do something useful instead of crying and whining for something that will make little change to your reef tank. It's a nice to have. I'll get it when it's ready. But my tank and me is doing just fine without it.
You too misunderstand the premise of this thread...

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprise, Suprise... NO AUTUMN DELIVERY!

How can they wait until now to tell us not even the beta testers have go them? what the heck?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the Google translate to English. Probably not posting to this thread further. I’m cutting the strings they have dragged me along on long enough. Good luck and wish everyone the best with their next steps.

Now here is the long awaited ION Director Update.

When it turned out that the supply chains were still severely disrupted and we could not rely on delivery commitments, we decided not to give updates until we had reliable information and the required material actually had in-house. We didn't want to give out any information that might have to be revised later.

Now there is finally enough material in our company to produce the ION directors for our field beta testers, in the next few weeks we will receive even larger quantities of material to start the production of several thousand ION directors for the existing pre-orders.

What is the schedule?
Care comes before haste. Although we had used the last few months to extensively test and perfect the ION Director, it cannot be ruled out that unforeseen problems may arise when using the ION Director at home or that improvements are suggested, after all, it is a brand new one, never previous product with unique technologies. Therefore, a beta test in the field is essential for many testers.
This test starts around mid-November.
We have to wait at least 1-2 months to see the results of the field test.
The delivery to our pre-orderers depends on the test results. If everything goes very well, the first devices can still be delivered in December 2020, otherwise in January and February 2021.

We are very well aware that the originally envisaged target of delivering in autumn 2020 can no longer be achieved. We ask for your understanding that we cannot deliver a new product that has not previously been thoroughly checked by many independent testers. Unfortunately, our schedule did not work out due to the problems in logistics and material procurement caused by Corona, we had underestimated these delays.

What if I don't want to wait anymore?
Even if we regret losing a customer due to the delay, it is still possible to cancel the pre-order at any time. In the case of a deposit, it will of course be refunded immediately.

Will the delivery time change if I order again after canceling?
Yes, it will be delivered in the order of the binding pre-orders. In addition, no pre-order discount can be granted for new orders.

We would like to thank you very much for your strong trust and patience, we look forward to soon being able to deliver a fantastic product to our loyal and loyal customers!

Last edited:

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eliasi - maybe they need a Beta tester outside of US an EU that runs the full compliment of testing and already has P4/KHD ....

eliasi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eliasi - maybe they need a Beta tester outside of US an EU that runs the full compliment of testing and already has P4/KHD ....
Don't start Macca! Over $6,000 invested in GHL gear in the last year on the back of the IOND and now this.
I'm just about done. I'm so mad. Sell it and move to APEX!

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a positive note GHL have announced something however their explanation just doesn’t stack up, they must have known months ago they hadn’t engaged with beta testers and would need to get feedback before releasing the product, all I’d like as a customer with a pre order is some transparency and honesty. GHL @Vinny@GHLUSA please stop treating your customers like mushrooms

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, it seems the official translation took longer than expected.

ION Director: We have news for you

ed609d1f-69a5-4079-a380-e25316d8f67c.png
Here is the long awaited ION Director Update.

As it turned out that the supply chains were still severely disrupted and we could not rely on delivery promises, we decided not to give updates until we had secured information and actually had the required material in house. We did not want to give out information that might need to be revised later.

Now finally there is enough material in our house to produce the ION Directors for our field beta testers, in the next weeks we will get even larger quantities of material to start the production of several thousand ION Directors for the existing pre-orders.
What is the schedule?
Carefulness goes before haste. Although we have used the last few months to extensively test and perfect the ION Director, it is not impossible that unforeseen problems may occur when using it at home or that improvements may be suggested, after all, this is a brand new, never before seen product with unique technologies. Therefore a beta test in the field is essential with many testers.
This test will start around mid November.
We have to wait at least 1-2 months to see what the field test results will show.
Delivery to our pre-orderers depends on the test results. If everything goes very well, the first units can be delivered in December 2020, otherwise in January and February 2021.

We are well aware that this means that the originally targeted delivery in autumn 2020 can no longer be achieved. We ask for your understanding that we cannot deliver a new product that has not been extensively checked by many independent testers. Unfortunately, our schedule did not work out due to the problems in logistics and material procurement caused by Corona, we had underestimated these delays.
What if I no longer want to wait?
We would be very sorry to lose a customer due to the delay, but naturally it is still possible to cancel the pre-order at any time. In case of a deposit, this will of course be refunded immediately.

Does the delivery time change if I order again after a cancellation?
Yes, we will ship in the order of the binding pre-orders. In addition, unfortunately no pre-order discount can be granted for new orders.

We would like to thank you very much for your strong confidence and patience. We look forward to delivering a fantastic product to our loyal and faithful customers soon!

Many greetings,

Matthias Groß, Managing Director and Head of Development
What about the announced video?

Some had asked if we could show a video demonstrating the ION Director during a measurement.
The video was already shot in mid-September 2020, but unfortunately it cannot be published yet, because the patenting of the IOND is not yet finished. We expect to be able to publish the video in about 2 weeks and politely ask for some more patience.
fa4fd3e5-4e5d-4f99-9c47-c67566f7073f.jpg
Inhouse-Produktion at GHL - Made In Germany
Production of ION Director Mainboards
140259e7-1423-425e-916f-ceb075237039.jpg

45d51885-2b2a-49ef-9cf3-2e3b90f71056.jpg
Milling and printing of housing parts

Last edited by a moderator:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing GHL doesn't have the foothold in the US market like neptune does, or this thread would easily be 50 pages full of people roasting GHL for their untimely delivery and/or promises.

Least neptune didn't take people money, then never deliver on many promised timelines.

I've been considering switching to GHL(just to use something different as we all know the "new" apex just isn't as reliable as the "old"), but this thread among others has me rethinking my position.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing GHL doesn't have the foothold in the US market like neptune does, or this thread would easily be 50 pages full of people roasting GHL for their untimely delivery and/or promises.

Least neptune didn't take people money, then never deliver on many promised timelines.

I've been considering switching to GHL(just to use something different as we all know the "new" apex just isn't as reliable as the "old"), but this thread among others has me rethinking my position.
Homer, don't let the delay sway your decision to switch to GHL, the hardware is rock solid. And this is coming from a person who used Apex since the Aquacontroller III and 10x days. I had the 2016 Apex, 4 DOS, Trident, countless modules. Nothing but issues. Switches and inputs would auto rename, go missing, turn on or off on their own for no reason, flow meters would clog, or switch to optical sensors on their own. Since switching to GHL, and after the initial set up, I haven't have to change or adjust anything. It just plain works.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer, don't let the delay sway your decision to switch to GHL, the hardware is rock solid. And this is coming from a person who used Apex since the Aquacontroller III and 10x days. I had the 2016 Apex, 4 DOS, Trident, countless modules. Nothing but issues. Switches and inputs would auto rename, go missing, turn on or off on their own for no reason, flow meters would clog, or switch to optical sensors on their own. Since switching to GHL, and after the initial set up, I haven't have to change or adjust anything. It just plain works.
This is the only reason why I haven't switched to a "new" apex. My current "old" apex just works and has for the last 6 years with 0 issues. Literally 0 issues, with the exception of a firmware upgrade that didn't go so well, but that was my fault, not theirs.

I'm still considering it, just with the lack of communications from GHL(Yes I realize the NA market is not their bread and butter), it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their ecosystem(I could care less about the ION as my controller just handles day to day tasks, and I still prefer manual testing as it gets me to "look" at my tank more then rely on eletronics to tell me something is wrong).

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer, to be honest, I switched to the "new" Apex based on using the Trident. Had I been able to use the Trident on my "old" Apex, like you I'd probably still be using it. I had basically zero issues with it.
But the "new" Apex was just to unreliable, so here we are, all GHL'ed up! The only Apex piece of equipment I still have running is a COR20 driving my LifeReef Skimmer. And that's because I had two sitting round. Using a Royal Exclusive RD100 which is GHL controlled via flow meters and 10v interface. Again, issue free.

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
i think a complete video showing all the steps as well as the volumes exchanged easily allows an experienced technician to understand the technical used.

Hmm I'm not sure I follow. The maximum volume used of each of the two reference solutions, and the specification of one of those two reference solutions, were publicly disclosed by GHL in its email of 10 July 2020 headed up "ION Director: Update". Prior to this email GHL has made public comments about the maximum amount of tank water that should be used per measurement.

Either way, if there were a concern in this regard then it seems that the easiest thing to have done would have been to partially blur in the video the figures for tank and reference water usage. That said, as we are now past the September video release date I think the damage has been done and there's little point in releasing the video in the two weeks before it is now re-scheduled to be released.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back