Forced inflation on sick nems possible new way to treat

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Okay so I’ve been working on something new with my nems I have been getting in I have been getting a lot of imported nems that usually get sick. I get from a few different countries mainly: Bali, Sri Lanka, and Philippines. 2 of these these places do not listen to me and still ship them nems with air. they usually need treatment when shipped like this, they still arrive in pretty good shape. Recently I started a new protocol for a deflating Nem that was recently imported. Now we’re talking early stages of possible bacterial infection( heathy Nem all of a sudden looks deflated gaping mouth still has sticky tents) the gaping mouth gave me the idea to inject fresh made saltwater into the mouth of the sick Nem. This in hope would help flush out the rotting dead zoos in the anemone that might be too weak to do so on its own. I would do it a few times a day, every time I noticed the moth gaping. I could see brown cloudy water come out after I inject and sometimes chunks of zooms too. Another thing it could be is it might help signal them to go through more deflation cycles and clean out faster. So far I’ve done this 3 possible sick deflated anemones 2 gigantea and a magnifica with success. I will be getting another shipment next weekend, I will hope for some more sick nems To try this process again and take some pictures as I do it . I will post them here and keep on with the research on hopefully a non antibiotic treatment for sick nems. I really have my fingers crossed for this one just needs more testing. Figured I would start sharing my new findings :)

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you siphoning the fresh saltwater into the mouth or using a turkey baster type contraption to flush it into the mouth?

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Are you siphoning the fresh saltwater into the mouth or using a turkey baster type contraption to flush it into the mouth?
I’m using a turkey baster type setup and I also clean before using it on another anemone :) you have to be carful not to force the water in too hard or to damage the moth with the turkey baster. I’ve only done it on nems they had full gaping or slightly gaping mouths so I really didn’t have to force the baster into the Nem

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Okay so I will update now after I’ve tried this on quite a few anemones. The forced inflation method can definitely help but it’s not 100% effective. One thing I have noticed is it can help with an anemones that seems to be too weak to inflate itself if force inflated with antibiotics a few times it might just make it. I had a problem with one anemone (a small blue gig) that would not inflate, I started force inflating thought out day with water filled with cipro and he started to improve. I definitely agree cipro is the way to go or another antibiotic such as sulfamethoxazole and chewy has 1 to 3 day shipping on most fish antibiotics you could need.

8B66A559-B5B4-42EE-9E11-F19E16727638.jpeg 60778A3A-6741-469D-8256-43304FAF46E6.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this approach and am hopeful that it works. When a sick nem can't inflate, it obviously can't benefit from the medication in the water. I never bothered to take the next step of trying to force water into them at the early stage of treatment. I have tried this with extremely sick nems, but I think at that point it was too late (meaning when the mouth is lose and the nem is unable to close it).

OP
OP
Nemguy123

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I agree if there’s a chance it’s always worth it these nems are literally gems of the ocean I’m not sure how many more years they will be shipped out :/

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve been working on something new with my nems I have been getting in I have been getting a lot of imported nems that usually get sick. I get from a few different countries mainly: Bali, Sri Lanka, and Philippines. 2 of these these places do not listen to me and still ship them nems with air. they usually need treatment when shipped like this, they still arrive in pretty good shape. Recently I started a new protocol for a deflating Nem that was recently imported. Now we’re talking early stages of possible bacterial infection( heathy Nem all of a sudden looks deflated gaping mouth still has sticky tents) the gaping mouth gave me the idea to inject fresh made saltwater into the mouth of the sick Nem. This in hope would help flush out the rotting dead zoos in the anemone that might be too weak to do so on its own. I would do it a few times a day, every time I noticed the moth gaping. I could see brown cloudy water come out after I inject and sometimes chunks of zooms too. Another thing it could be is it might help signal them to go through more deflation cycles and clean out faster. So far I’ve done this 3 possible sick deflated anemones 2 gigantea and a magnifica with success. I will be getting another shipment next weekend, I will hope for some more sick nems To try this process again and take some pictures as I do it . I will post them here and keep on with the research on hopefully a non antibiotic treatment for sick nems. I really have my fingers crossed for this one just needs more testing. Figured I would start sharing my new findings :)
Thank you for helping move the hobby forward! I spoke recently to a LFS owner who deals with high end Anemones, and he told me he has the most success when they are shipped "dry" meaning just enough water to cover them but that's it. He believes this simulates the nem's response to low tide. His thought is when you have a bag full of water, the nem expels the water from within into the bag causing bacteria infections.

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds great, and actually sound similar to the advice I got which was to continuously flush the nem in a bucket with tank water directly on it. There’s def some science behind this method!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back