"FORCED" to be an SPS guy

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll i'd just like to say hello to all you stick heads. I'm being "forced" to go SPS...but i'm not complaing :nerd:. Let me explain, i'm not being forced by anyone in particular, in fact the only person that looks at my tank often other than me, which is my girlfriend, hates sticks. I'm a converting Chalice guy. About two months ago all my chalices just started receding. I still have yet to figure out why. I lost about 10-12 chalices, serveral of which were high end chalices. I also lost some acans and a fungia. I tested for everything and still have no answer. I only have 3 chalices left and 1 is still receding. I even got 2 new ones after the die off, when I thought my tank was recovered. The funny thing is, none of my few sps were affected by this die off. I found this odd as typically sps is much more prone to being the first to go when things are out of order. So now i've got a new found interest in SPS and i'm quickly developing a bug for them. The satisfaction of watch a small frag develop is pretty awesome. Right now my SPS collection is slim but growing. Let me know of any must have's. Especially any that do well under t5's.

My SPS:
Green Slimer
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Red Planet
No name Blue Tort
Tyree mystic sunset monti

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the dark side. Lol. It's extremely addicting. I would suggest keep looking for why your chalices died. Mine seem to be bullet proof. Sps can be extremely rewarding and unforgiving. There's so many different species/ families of sps. Advice: test alkalinity often. Look forward to seeing some pics.

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've test ALK a good bit since I started keeping my few pieces, it seems to be pretty stable. I don't dose anything but all my levels stay pretty even as I do regular water changes. Plus my tank is pretty small, just a 45 cube and 20g sump. Also, I have beast of a skimmer. They only thing I can think of on my chalices is when I changed chemipure elite bags, seems to be when everything started to decline. I have since stop using chemipure.

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to the addiction!!!! :) :) Another one gets bit, and the addiction starts. Just a warning, there is no cure, and there is no going back hehe. Here are a few pics of my current tank, First 8 are under 175w 14K Ushio, the last are under 250w 20k Radiums(LOVE them) :first:

Attachments

• 100_3308.jpg
    100_3308.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_3316.jpg
    100_3316.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 100_3352.jpg
    100_3352.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 100_3354.jpg
    100_3354.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 525
  • P9110005.JPG
    P9110005.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 523

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PA050006.jpg

PA050007.jpg

PA050008.jpg

(neon green candycanes made the green reflection on the side)
PA050010.jpg

PA050021.jpg

Enjoy the ride, I have and never looked back. There will be ups and downs but once you get the hang of it it's a great accomplishment and can be very rewarding :)

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. In fact, I made the switch for the exact same reason. All my chalices except one large colony did the exact same thing and I can't figure why.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the wonderful world of colored sticks!

Rmorales13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you'll love all the variety of colored sticks!! I've always had an oregon tort and it should do good under t5s. I'm sure we can come up with a nice colorful list for ya

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll I've just put together a sick little SPS frag pack from one of our awesome vendors. I'll post the list as soon as I pay for it this weekend.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rasberry nasuta, tierra de fuego, pink lemonade, blue hoeki, this list could go on for hours! :). Theres really almost and endless amount of acros

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was forced on chalices because the only room I had was on the sand bed but I realized a cluttered sand bed doesnt look as nice. Since youre running t5's I would recommend the tyree pink lemonade. They look better to me under t5's than halides.

seamonkey84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find LPS generally don't like my Sps tank. they recede and starve it seems, maybe too much light as well. Well I use to have just acans and zoas, now my tank is mostly acros and some zoas, everything else had to be moved to another tank that I don't have to keep the water as clean.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've test ALK a good bit since I started keeping my few pieces, it seems to be pretty stable. I don't dose anything but all my levels stay pretty even as I do regular water changes. Plus my tank is pretty small, just a 45 cube and 20g sump. Also, I have beast of a skimmer. They only thing I can think of on my chalices is when I changed chemipure elite bags, seems to be when everything started to decline. I have since stop using chemipure.

once you get more sps your alk will drop quicker. my tank was pretty stable also, then with sps it dropped. in one week it went from 9dkh to about 6dkh or lower. i thought i wouldn't have to test and im still slowly increasing alk to correct level.

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find LPS generally don't like my Sps tank. they recede and starve it seems, maybe too much light as well. Well I use to have just acans and zoas, now my tank is mostly acros and some zoas, everything else had to be moved to another tank that I don't have to keep the water as clean.

My tank was an LPS dominate, i'm just getting more into SPS now.

once you get more sps your alk will drop quicker. my tank was pretty stable also, then with sps it dropped. in one week it went from 9dkh to about 6dkh or lower. i thought i wouldn't have to test and im still slowly increasing alk to correct level.

I've been keeping my eye on my ALK, at the moment just the few pieces of SPS that I have don't really have much effect on the ALK, but the more I get I know i'll have to do something to replenish it.

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to announce the frag pack i've put togehter, i'm really excited about it! Will make the announcement monday when I purchase the frags..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back