Forgot to remove carbon last night before medicating

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a dumb mistake and forgot to remove the carbon from my sump before I dosed with Prazipro. Would a 30% water change and redose be a good option or should the carbon have taken out enough to go ahead and redose without having to wait a day or two for that much water to be made? I have 2 wrasse and know prazi can be harsh for them and don’t want to overdose.

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience using Prazipro, but I would say to watch what ever you are using it for over the next couple of days and treat again if needed like the directions state. I would not dose again.

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience using Prazipro, but I would say to watch what ever you are using it for over the next couple of days and treat again if needed like the directions state. I would not dose again.
Thanks! This is what I’ll do

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My paddlefin wrasse is hitting his gills on rocks about every 30 seconds and i'm getting worried. I read a different post here that said prazipro is pretty much out of the tank in 48 hours, does this mean i can correctly dose soon? It's been 2 days since I dosed and want to re-treat my fish as quickly as possible.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it a fresh water dip to give some relief. if you have a spare bucket/tank. put freshly mixed salt water and move it there. dose prazi again.

edit if you have melafix then add a few drops(half of recommended dose) and add an airline if you are adding melafix.

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it a fresh water dip to give some relief. if you have a spare bucket/tank. put freshly mixed salt water and move it there. dose prazi again.

edit if you have melafix then add a few drops(half of recommended dose) and add an airline if you are adding melafix.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, I do have a few buckets but can't seem to catch him for anything. He's so quick and bolts into a rock for safety. I also have seen my clown that I mention in the original post scratching too so I suspect this is affecting more than one fish. I can have enough water to do a 30% water change by the night if that would help.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you ruled out ich? better post some pics taken under white light. a video will be better.
worst thing you can do is treat for wrong illness. if you are sure its flukes then give both the fish a fresh water dip in a dark container. (in most cases)flukes should fall to the floor.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand your pain. wrasses are very difficult to catch. you will need help. get 2 nets and somebody to pick up the rocks. another thing i have read is that its easier to catch them under red light. turn off all lights and get the tank lights to red spectrum. use smaller net to scare the wrasse towards bigger net. best of luck.

OP
OP
cww81

cww81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you ruled out ich? better post some pics taken under white light. a video will be better.
worst thing you can do is treat for wrong illness. if you are sure its flukes then give both the fish a fresh water dip in a dark container. (in most cases)flukes should fall to the floor.
The fish have no visible spots on them, the wrasse seems to have a bit of a bloated stomach, and both the wrasse and clown scratch themselves at the gill area only which is why I thought flukes. Does this sound like flukes to you? I've had fish for about 2 years now and this is my first illness and i'm just a little nervous as these are the 2 original fish from two years ago that are displaying the illness. Thanks again!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries.
start with catching them and giving a fresh water dip. It would provide some relief from both ich n flukes. plus smaller volume will make it easier to dose medicine. try to take some pics when u have them out
be sure to monitor their breathing while in fresh water. heavy/fast breathing is normal. slow breathing means problem. take them out asa u see slow breathing. If everything is ok u can dip them for up to 5 mins. get the temp and pH(if possible) as close to tank parameters.
don't panic. fish are very hardy unless they are too far gone. you won;t be help them in that case.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back