Fork's saltwater tank upgrade - XXL 625

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank just arrived! Now it seems like a good time to jump start this build thread with what I've bought so far, what I'm planning on buying, and what I plan on doing.
This is a huge upgrade for me as I started this hobby with a 40g breeder, DYI 10g sump, DYI tank stand. I even tried to do a DYI overflow (was the slurpiest thing you ever heard) :p.
Living in Texas I was unfortunate to experience a long power outage which killed my first tank and almost all inhabitants except for a Turbo snail and shrimp which I have in a rescue 10g tank at the moment. So having 95% of my tank die off, I figured it was a good place to restart with something bigger and better.

What I've bought so far:​

Tank:
Reefer XXL 625 System (133 Gal) - Black - Red Sea
1615580674161.png

Salt:
Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix
Rock:
Reef Saver Nano Shelf Dry Live Rock (130 pounds)
20 lb. Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand (x5)
E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar Complete Kit
Return Pump:
VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH) - Reef Octopus

What I'm planning on buying:​

Heater:
600W Titanium Aquarium Heater System - WiFi - Bulk Reef Supply
Pumps:
VorTech MP40QD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine (x2)
Pink & Purple Live Coralline Algae Kit - ARC Reef
Lighting:
UNDECIDED
Skimmer:
UNDECIDED (might use old 75g skimmer from 40g build)

What I'm planning on doing:​

I actually don't have a solid aquascape in mind yet, I thinking I want to do something similar to this:

basic idea reef tank.png
Both VorTech would be side by side in the top right side of the tank flowing left. I want a large overhang and the left side of the tank is in a position to be viewed from my kitchen as well as the living room, so I'd like that area to be 'busy'.

As for the livestock I would eventually keep (purchased over a year or so):
2 Jawfish (seeing them spit sand at each other would be so funny)
2 clownfish (this would be my first fishes)
1 Yellow Tang
I also would like to add 5-6 other fishes, probably in the small to medium size category

I'm open to any comments or suggestions. I want to get this done right the first time.

Sley1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Red Sea reef wave 45 gyre pumps in my 625 xxl and really like how they are working. I have a mixed feed LPS dominant. Consider Removing the Red Sea Valve and replace it with a spears gate valve before you even start, it gets very hard to adjust water level and is noisy and builds up crud in it easily, you will thank yourself everyday for making that change. I searched and found a great thread which showed a pretty simple modification without buying any new parts other than the valve.

OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Red Sea reef wave 45 gyre pumps in my 625 xxl and really like how they are working.
I was considering a few gyre pumps, but I wanted to perform better husbandry for my equipment this time around, figured the VorTech pumps would really give me no excuses :p

OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some slight updates:
Tank has been installed and I've been slowly working on the aquascape
I also ended up getting 2 heaters with temp controllers for them.

For lighting, I'm thinking of going with 8 AI Prime 16hd, I think it would be pretty cool to customize the par settings in different areas of the tank. Any thoughts on this idea?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill never buy the titanium heating elements again. Mine never came back on after sitting for prob 2 yrs. The controllers work. Elements no. Mine were finnex 500w.
D

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest the Red Sea Reef LED 160s's for lighting. Red Sea has a video series on YouTube where they have researched for 5 years and found corals use mostly the 360-480nm spectrum and their lights are tailored to that.

OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest the Red Sea Reef LED 160s's for lighting. Red Sea has a video series on YouTube where they have researched for 5 years and found corals use mostly the 360-480nm spectrum and their lights are tailored to that.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it some more. I'm still 4-6 months away from turning on the lights

OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally finished making the rock pieces for my aquascape. The rock pieces are held in place with carbon fiber tubes and aqua cement. I also used the dust from drilling the rock to cover some of the cement (not sure if this was a good idea but I experimented)

Please do let me know if there is some major issue with this configuration. I want to try and grow LPS on the top of the rockwork and unsure of where to place the pumps. So far I'm thinking of putting my two pumps above the center of each section.

This piece goes up 75% of the tank, I don't think I'll grow anything at the very tip
20210407_194926.jpg

The left side has a good amount of large gaps between the pieces to allow small fish to hide out if they want.
20210407_194944.jpg

20210407_194915.jpg

Attachments

• 20210407_194904.jpg
    20210407_194904.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I had, is this enough rock for this 120 gallon tank? I have 30 lbs of decent sized rock and 20 pounds of rubble left over. Should I just throw those in the sump?

I'm going to put sand in the tank, roughly 2".

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank just arrived! Now it seems like a good time to jump start this build thread with what I've bought so far, what I'm planning on buying, and what I plan on doing.
This is a huge upgrade for me as I started this hobby with a 40g breeder, DYI 10g sump, DYI tank stand. I even tried to do a DYI overflow (was the slurpiest thing you ever heard) :p.
Living in Texas I was unfortunate to experience a long power outage which killed my first tank and almost all inhabitants except for a Turbo snail and shrimp which I have in a rescue 10g tank at the moment. So having 95% of my tank die off, I figured it was a good place to restart with something bigger and better.

What I've bought so far:​

Tank:
Reefer XXL 625 System (133 Gal) - Black - Red Sea
1615580674161.png

Salt:
Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix
Rock:
Reef Saver Nano Shelf Dry Live Rock (130 pounds)
20 lb. Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand (x5)
E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar Complete Kit
Return Pump:
VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH) - Reef Octopus

What I'm planning on buying:​

Heater:
600W Titanium Aquarium Heater System - WiFi - Bulk Reef Supply
Pumps:
VorTech MP40QD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine (x2)
Pink & Purple Live Coralline Algae Kit - ARC Reef
Lighting:
UNDECIDED
Skimmer:
UNDECIDED (might use old 75g skimmer from 40g build)

What I'm planning on doing:​

I actually don't have a solid aquascape in mind yet, I thinking I want to do something similar to this:

basic idea reef tank.png
Both VorTech would be side by side in the top right side of the tank flowing left. I want a large overhang and the left side of the tank is in a position to be viewed from my kitchen as well as the living room, so I'd like that area to be 'busy'.

As for the livestock I would eventually keep (purchased over a year or so):
2 Jawfish (seeing them spit sand at each other would be so funny)
2 clownfish (this would be my first fishes)
1 Yellow Tang
I also would like to add 5-6 other fishes, probably in the small to medium size category

I'm open to any comments or suggestions. I want to get this done right the first time.
What made you choose the 625 instead of the 750? I'm looking at either of those two tanks for my first tank and I can't make up my mind which to get.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back