Formalin/methylene blue dips after qt?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never quarantined particularly aggressively in the past. I've never had a problem (over many years) but I'm starting a new tank and I'm being more careful this time.

The first two inhabitants are a tailspot blenny and a clownfish.

The blenny was put through qt at a LFS, where it was held in copper and treated 3 x with general cure over 10 days. He had no signs of illness, but out of what I believed to be an abundance of caution I gave him a dip in "safety stop", which is 45 min in airated baths of tank water with formalin followed by 45 min and tank water with methylene blue. I then put him in my DT.

Over the past 16 hours, the tailspot has moved very little from the place where he initially settled in my tank. He has his super high stress colors on. His respiration seems normal. Frankly, I expect him to be dead each time I walk past the tank. He isn't even hiding in the rockwork. Thoughts?

My clownfish is going to complete his two weeks in kan/metro/gc in a few days. My plan was also to dip him before adding him to my DT.

Right now this sounds like a very bad idea. Is there any benefit to dipping him at this point or can I just add him to the DT?

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never quarantined particularly aggressively in the past. I've never had a problem (over many years) but I'm starting a new tank and I'm being more careful this time.

The first two inhabitants are a tailspot blenny and a clownfish.

The blenny was put through qt at a LFS, where it was held in copper and treated 3 x with general cure over 10 days. He had no signs of illness, but out of what I believed to be an abundance of caution I gave him a dip in "safety stop", which is 45 min in airated baths of tank water with formalin followed by 45 min and tank water with methylene blue. I then put him in my DT.

Over the past 16 hours, the tailspot has moved very little from the place where he initially settled in my tank. He has his super high stress colors on. His respiration seems normal. Frankly, I expect him to be dead each time I walk past the tank. He isn't even hiding in the rockwork. Thoughts?

My clownfish is going to complete his two weeks in kan/metro/gc in a few days. My plan was also to dip him before adding him to my DT.

Right now this sounds like a very bad idea. Is there any benefit to dipping him at this point or can I just add him to the DT?
Oh I should add (in case it's relevant):
Alk: 7.9dkh
pH: 8.0
Temp: 79
Sg: 1.026
Phosphate: 0.21 (ugh!!)
NH3/4: 0
Nitrite: 0.02 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Back