Forming & fabricating with Acrylic. ***CAPILLARY SOLVENT BONDING*** A Tenecor® Explainer

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you continue, I suggest first reading this article describing the different bonding methods.

Capillary bonding is the most well known method for joining acrylic. And from the number of posts, easy to assume it is the only way. As in all methods, surface preparation is key to success. For this article's purposes, I will assume properly prepared surfaces are the case and the solvent we are using is un-thickened Weldon 3.

Pins or no pins. Placing pins between the surfaces to be bonded creates a slight gap making it easier for the solvent to travel by capillary action. For smaller parts and short lengths pinning is usually not necessary. For longer lengths and thicker parts, pinning is desirable. Pins should not be too thick or too thin. Thick pins such as those made from paperclips create a gap too wide for capillary action. Too thin and you risk breaking them during removal. There are many good online sources that discuss some rather clever pinning methods.

Maximum piece thickness. The maximum material thickness using pins should not be greater than 1 inch unless the parts are small (easily picked up with one hand). Aquariums built with acrylic thicker than one inch usually are taller than 48 inches and considered to be on the larger size. Even using acrylic instead of glass, they are heavy and require special methods to move. Pinning these large sheets is not advised for two main reasons:

1) Solvent cementing is not the strongest bonding method for these large tanks. While it is technically possible to achieve good seams, there are better, stronger ways to bond thicker gauges. I will discuss these options in a future article.

2) The pins will be buried in the panels as the solvent softens the surfaces. The considerable weight of the top piece will bury the pins making them difficult to remove. And if a pin breaks inside the seam, be prepared costly and time consuming rework.

For smaller pieces such as bases, ornamental fabrications and even rimless frag tanks, pinning pieces thicker than 1 inch is acceptable. But again, there is no reason for using such thick and costly sheets for smaller builds.

CAPILLAERY SOLVENT BONDING.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the pin method for tanks up to 2" thick by using guitar (not the wound srtings) string cut to length to make pins. Don't remember the guage right now. You must use a flat surface and foam tape for support of the surfaces being bonded and it takes two people to run the seam. One filling the seam and one following to pull the pins at a spaced interval. The foam tape is the product used to seal a canopy top to a pickup truck found in many hardware stores. Leave the paper on and only apply the adhesive to the table. I built tanks 16' long x 3' wide x 4' tall with a butt seam in the middle for a customer who could not wait for custom panels to be cast. (2 plus year wait time in the 90's). Still I service today as far as I know.

Also, forget the Scigrip Weldon products as the shelf life is limited and Methylene Cloride and up to 5% Glacial Acetic Acid make a much stronger bond. Adjust the Glacial Acid to match the needs for humidity in the assembly area. A test bond that does not turn white around the edges (blushing) will tell you the proper mix ratio. All of these chemicals are very dangerous and you must read and understand the MSDS before use! This warning extends to Weldon products as well since they contain these chemicals as well as others in their mix. I would only use Weldon 42 for certain type tank construction (250ml mixing gun and tips) like large hexagons or odd shaped corners. This prevents solvent flow out of the seams when bonding angled pieces. Use riverters tape from 3M to prevent spilling into the viewing area of the angled seams.

By the way I started out selling Tenecor Aquariums to Aquarium stores before switching to fabrication in our own facility. Tenecor is about the last mass acrylic manufacturer still standing. That says something right there. I quit in the early 2000's as the supply chain collapsed after NAFTA and products became difficult to attain through my distributors.

Nothing like a new acrylic tank with water clear seams. Just love to look at them empty . A work of art indeed!

Enjoy your projects all you DIY'ers!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back