OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to try using kalkwasser [BRS] in my ATO at 1.25 tbsp/5gallon bucket.

While I was on vacation, I evaporated around 4 gallons at this ratio and my ALK was a bit lower than I hoped when I returned, but I'm going to do it again at the same ratio and check it every couple of days.

It seems that I evaporate about 5 gallons per week.

Harvested 2/3 of the chaeto in the back compartments [can't remember how much I started with], so I'll keep an eye on how much/fast that grows as well.

I'm going to pick up some more snails/hermits this weekend to add tot he tank as I started with the 13 gallon and haven't added any additional clean up crew. Also possibly looking to get a cleaner shrimp.

SCK1027

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Seems like there were no casualties from 6 days of no feeding :)

How much alk is your tank using up per day? My Lagoon is using the max 2tsp/gal Kalk saturation with some dosing. Are you still using the All For Reef? If so, how do you like it for now?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Seems like there were no casualties from 6 days of no feeding :)

How much alk is your tank using up per day? My Lagoon is using the max 2tsp/gal Kalk saturation with some dosing. Are you still using the All For Reef? If so, how do you like it for now?
Yeah everything looks good after coming home, aside from some knocked over corals. I really need to get in there with some glue and anchor down the corals

I haven't measured/tracked the ALK on a daily basis really. I have switched over to Kalk and am doing around .25tsp/gal. My test last night was at 8.4 which is right where I want to be.

I am likely going to try to use kalk all the way through max saturation like you, where I will then add in 2 part to supplement.

I never really used the All 4 Reef consistently or for long enough to have an opinion. If I was using it on a doser I might have stuck with it for longer, but the benefits of the kalk being hands-off and helping the pH [I'm not testing for pH] makes sense for me.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at ways to improve storage space in my stand. I posted this on another thread, so copypasta here.

I'm thinking of building some shelves/storage areas on the side, and above my ATO container. I also have a shelf that the previous owner installed, but it looks like IM doesn't sell these anymore?

Here's mine currently

PXL_20210204_053122460.jpg

PXL_20210204_053138920.jpg

I'm also wanting to build a spot to keep my 150w MH ballast in the stand, and potentially get a 5 gallon ATO container [like the sapphire ATO container] that fits right down the middle of the tank [front to back] so that I can build little shelves on both sides.

A:
1614793853409.png

Or maybe B:
Black rectangle is the existing shelf
Blue rectangle is a Trigger systems ATO
The golden/yellow rectangle is new shelves framed in 1x1 or similar

1614794094902.png

With a 5 gallon bucket ATO [what I have now] I think this might fit.
C:
1614794291738.png

Or maybe only this will end up fitting
D:
1614794326007.png

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video of the tank.

PXL_20210304_234603273.MP.jpg

I'm going to probably be adding another cleaner shrimp as the eggs are appealing to me.

Also, I'm missing my skimmer cap, so I'm debating what to do about that, as I originally intended to run a CO2 scrubber. The problem now is that I'm running kalk and I don't have a pH monitor, so I'm a little worried about too high of pH.

In michigan I had a lot of success running a CO2 scrubber.

I found someone semi-locally that I'm going to trade my fluval 13.5 for his Nero 5 pump on Saturday, so I'll have the MP10 on one side, the Nero 5 on the other, and the Jebao going across the back side of the rock. Overall a LOT of flow...

Future plans:

Build a hood for the tank
Build shelving/storage in the stand
Add second 150w MH fixture
Add some blue LED strips
Upgrade current bulb to phoenix 14k
Add CO2 scrubber
Buy 5 gallon trigger systems ATO container

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I checked, BRS [and everyone else] was out of stock on the 5 gallon ATO reservoirs from Trigger Systems. I just happened to be looking tonight and they had them in stock, so new reservoir incoming! Should be here by next weekend, so I might have myself a small project of building out some shelves for storage.

I'm on the lookout for some smaller profile Metal Halide ballasts [150w]. Does anyone know how I would go about making sure that a new ballast will work with the Hamilton fixture that I have? It has a 3 prong plug [not a normal wall plug]

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to follow @melev 's example and try to test every week.

Here are todays numbers:
1615148299815.png

I pulled out 75% of the chaeto again today in the back chamber of the tank and put back in about 2 golf ball's worth.

I'm going to have to add another fish here soon to avoid bottoming out the nitrate. I'm happy with where the phosphate is, so I'm not sure that I want to up my feeding any more [I already feed a lot, and often].

The Calcium is higher than I want it to be, and the Alk is higher than expected [admittedly this is only my second batch of Kalkwasser use on the tank, so I think it's still dialing in.

I mixed a new ATO batch of kalk up at 1.5/5 gallons instead of 1.25/5 gallons, so hopefully the ALK gets some use during the day today. I'm going to test again tonight since all of my ALK testing for comparison has been done in the late evening.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also!

I got a couple of new corals today from a local on FB. A 2 head gold indo hammer, and a frag of "cherry bomb".

pic of the mother colony
1615148550678.png

It just looks white in my tank, but he cut it just this morning so I'm hoping it colors up a bit.

I never have bought "named" or "fancy" corals, but I'm giving these a shot... Paid $150 for the hammer and cherry bomb frag just based on impulse.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - I want to add a CO2 scrubber to the tank, and I didn't have a pH probe for the ReefKeeper... Since they're out of business, I decided to buy a use Apex [mostly for the pH monitoring] from the marketplace here. Should be on the way sometime this week!

I'm debating moving the Nero 5 to the back right wall of the tank, and the MP10 to the left side of the tank. I'm hoping that the Nero hitting the glass doesn't cause a big bare spot of sand [or send water shooting out of the tank] but it will clear up the view of the tank from the front.

Not sure what to do about the Jebao that I currently have shooting water behind the rocks.

This tank has a LOT of flow in it... Not sure how I'll keep everything happy. On my last 13.5 gallon tank, I had two MP10's [one on either side of the tank] and they worked out great. The Nero 5 might just be a bit much for this 25 gallon.

I would like to either add a second 150w MH, or figure out a way to add some supplemental lights [T5 was my first thought, but maybe a LED light on either side] to add in some "pop" to the corals and show off their colors a bit more. A nice sunrise/sunset and moonlight would be cool too.

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to following along! The Im 25 Lagoon is one sleek looking tank.

Btw, you can go to your profile and link this thread to it and receive a build thread contributor badge!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to following along! The Im 25 Lagoon is one sleek looking tank.

Btw, you can go to your profile and link this thread to it and receive a build thread contributor badge!
Yeah I really like it - only regret is buying used [has scratches on the front panel].

Thanks on the badge!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 updates today!

ALK is rising - I'm going to have to dilute my ATO water since the ALK is raising higher than my target.

I got my Trigger 5 gallon ATO in last night, and It fits perfectly! Can't wait to build out the shelving for inside the stand.

I've purchased a used Apex Classic from the forum here, so I'll have pH monitoring soon! This will allow me to feel comfortable adding a pH scrubber to the tank.

I've also purchased two AI Prime HD's for either side of the 150w Metal Halide light. These will be used for supplemental lighting effects and to help with any PAR issues on the ends of the tank.

Plan for this coming weekend [time permitting]:
Buy some 1x and frame a canopy and shelving for the stand.
I want to have space on the bottom of the stand on either side of the ATO for dosing containers [1 for ALK and 1 for Calcium] and test kits/misc. gear.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added [probably] my final fish to the tank today!

I got a 6 line wrasse to add to the tank.
I also picked up a second cleaner shrimp, and a 2 head frogspawn.

Yesterday I picked up 4 new zoa frags, and traded in one of my larger zoa rocks/colonies which didn't have desirable colors in my tank.

I also switched out the new Trigger Systems 5 gallon ATO for the Lowes 5 gallon bucket, and I'll be [hopefully] getting the wood tomorrow to build a canopy and shelves for the stand.

Still looking for a 150w electronic MH ballast since the one I have is 7" tall, and is magnetic [included with my Hamilton fixture].

Got the Apex Classic linked in to APEX Fusion. Next step is actually getting the tank/plugs set up on it. I'll do this while/after doing the shelves.

PXL_20210313_005544098.jpg

PXL_20210313_005552635.jpg
PXL_20210313_005617302.MP.jpg

PXL_20210313_005626011.MP.jpg

PXL_20210313_005638617.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video I shot of the tank yesterday. If you notice anything and have any suggestions for things like adjusting flow, powerhead placement etc. let me know!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some things today!

On a different note - since adding the 6 line wrasse [very active, doing well] the Regal Tang has been much more adventurous/active. Previously she just hung out in one corner of the tank and was very skittish.

She's still skittish now, but she's weaving in and out of the gaps in the rockwork, through the arches etc. and is much more active in going after food during feeding. All good signs/news!

PXL_20210314_001128931.jpg

The MH will hang from the center brace, with the two AI primes on either side.

PXL_20210314_001138925.jpg

The sides are on hinges [these sides cover the rear chambers. I wanted the hood to only "sit" back as far as the divider, so that there isn't any wood blocking access/removal of anything in the rear chambers.

This one makes it clear that I'm no carpenter! Everything was done with my 4" [I think] mini skilsaw type thing.

PXL_20210314_001153262.jpg

Here's the front opening - I currently have a mesh top on the tank that will go when I put the hood on. With that said, I'll probably have to add some mesh or something to the back openings on the tank. Maybe the bottom 5-6" to stop jumpers?

PXL_20210314_001201727.jpg

Here's my newly reorganized stand! It was very difficult building things in this stand, and I pretty much winged it... The MH ballast will be going on the middle right shelf [next to theHanna Checkers]. I also have an Apex to somehow fit into here...

PXL_20210314_001453290.jpg

PXL_20210314_001443967.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also got a BRS dual media reactor coming with some Scrubber media to use as a CO2 scrubber, a magnesium test and some pH standards for calibrating the Apex I bought from the forums.

On that note, I got in the Apex Classic [Thanks @ForrestGump !] and the AI Primes that I bought on marketplace [Thanks @Cheng !].

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major change in Tang and 6-line behaviour. They are both out and active in the tank now [thank goodness]. Both are eating voraciously [I autofeed flake/pellet twice a day, and feed about 10ml of frozen mix every night].

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back