Found a crab.

tundra420619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed something neon orange in my elegance coral. I looked closer and can see its a crab. Has anyone seen these, you know what it is? I cant get a decent photo, it's always deep in the coral.

PXL_20201030_011934984.jpg PXL_20201030_012009093.jpg PXL_20201030_011926684.jpg

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Gall Crab. It's parasite and it's eating the Elegance filamentous...., it's best to be taken out. It's ver hard, and you can pull it out with hemostats. Be a bit gently, will be not easy,or you can try to dip the elegance for 25-30 minutes in Iodine solution (not to stress the coral with something else), because it have to be for longer in the dip, to can get the crab out, Touching the area where the crab is to get iodine in the hole it have.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best read to find solution, or you may get a lot of problems with this, whch can go in large polyp stony corals and ....
That's from google IMages Gall crab and they aren't symbiotic with the coral (it's parasite inside eating it)
You can read this (I found long time ago), and this / Trachyphyllia boring shrimp

Nice! I have had stow aways on large acros. Can you lure it out with food/tweezers?

Nevermind after reading the next post
Better with something stronger with good grips. it's already done some damages to the coral..., but still need to be a bit gently with pooling it out.

P.S. forgot to say, have on mind there can be 2 usually, you will fill with the tweezers (not pin like ends and sharp) in the hole is it another one, gently and slowly you can take it out, or with DIP (jodine/bayer/something else) opening gently the hole to get DIP in (best that way with iodine, not to damage the filaments of the coral inside)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back