Found a nudi... good or bad?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, found this guy which looks like a nudi while dipping a coral...
20211023_184409.jpg
20211023_185030.jpg

Not sure if it is good or bad guy.. any thoughts? Thanks.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how much you like to gamble. There are over 2000 different nudibranches we know of so far. I would never leave one in my tank without being 99.99% sure it is a safe one for my tanks.
Thanks for the warning and nop don't want to gamble... is there a list of known coral safe nudi's? Not to add one but to be sure on what to do in case one entered the tank unknowingly.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warning and nop don't want to gamble... is there a list of known coral safe nudi's? Not to add one but to be sure on what to do in case one entered the tank unknowingly.

I am not sure if there is a good list out there. It is my understanding that most of them we are not really sure how reef safe they are.

I think there is a good chance that it is a variety mentioned earlier in the thread. Definetely looks similar when i googled it. I was just saying personally i never risk one unless i am certain. There is just so many out there and most we know very little about.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if there is a good list out there. It is my understanding that most of them we are not really sure how reef safe they are.

I think there is a good chance that it is a variety mentioned earlier in the thread. Definetely looks similar when i googled it. I was just saying personally i never risk one unless i am certain. There is just so many out there and most we know very little about.
Noted with thanks.... will stay clear of nudis for now.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality is typically each species only eats one specific thing .
It’s existence is based on having food
What ever it eats you have food for it .
I’d try to nail down its food . And gamble if it’s worth keeping

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep coming back to Jorunna funebris. Maybe that?

So no harm keeping it right.

Depends how much you like to gamble. There are over 2000 different nudibranches we know of so far. I would never leave one in my tank without being 99.99% sure it is a safe one for my tanks.

The reality is typically each species only eats one specific thing .
It’s existence is based on having food
What ever it eats you have food for it .
I’d try to nail down its food .

Almost every nudibranch that gets posted, the answer is get rid of it to be safe.
However this looks a lot like a specific sponge-eater. Furthermore it's on a coral but bears no resemblance to coral polyps and has no coral coloration. Almost all coral-eater nudibranchs will have those traits.
This is one I'd keep (unless I loved sponges)

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every nudibranch that gets posted, the answer is get rid of it to be safe.
However this looks a lot like a specific sponge-eater. Furthermore it's on a coral but bears no resemblance to coral polyps and has no coral coloration. Almost all coral-eater nudibranchs will have those traits.
This is one I'd keep (unless I loved sponges)
The problem with that, is that you have to provide the sponges or it’s just going to die eventually. Not just any sponges either, but sponges from a specific family most likely. If you could somehow manage that, it would be pretty dang cool.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back