Found a Tank

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a sweet tank the other day. I think it is a 120? Anyway it looks like who ever owned it lost interest in it an just let the water evaporate out before they took it to the curb.
My question is how do I remove the I guess salt deposits from the sides of the tank?
Thanks
ReeferRob

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled white vinegar and water in a spray bottle makes for a nice cleaner that is also reef safe. Then you could either use some paper towels or a razor blade for those tough areas.

Does this help or where you looking for a different approach?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, when I say white vinegar is reef safe I mean for cleaning so don't dump it in your tank. It will reduce your pH

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just found it on the curb?!
good find if you did
i would just try water and a little elbow grease first, if that doesnt work the vinegar usually does the job
the kent scraper is amazing, even anything hard and with a flat edge will work the same its just easier to use imo

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should always be concerned when using a tank with no history behind it.

Things to find out:
Does it leak?
- Check the silicone around the seems to see if it looks like the tank was resealed. Then take it outside, place it on level ground and fill it with water. You could leave it full for a few days to see if leaks at all. Depending on your weather forecast you could even put some newspaper around the tank as a sort of leak advisor.

Was copper used?
-I'm not sure if you can test for this or not but it may be worth finding out.

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should always be concerned when using a tank with no history behind it.

Things to find out:
Does it leak?
- Check the silicone around the seems to see if it looks like the tank was resealed. Then take it outside, place it on level ground and fill it with water. You could leave it full for a few days to see if leaks at all. Depending on your weather forecast you could even put some newspaper around the tank as a sort of leak advisor.

Was copper used?
-I'm not sure if you can test for this or not but it may be worth finding out.

All great ideas. I was planning on doing a water hold test on it but didn't think about copper :confused: Can copper be trapped in the silicone or what? All the silicone looks great its just the lines about six or eight inches from the bottom.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever heard snake are turtle pee are poop was harmful also. I saw a thread someweres long time ago about it. dunno were sorry

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever heard snake are turtle pee are poop was harmful also. I saw a thread someweres long time ago about it. dunno were sorry

Yes, yes this is an interesting point. I don't truely know the tanks history, I am only speculating. What if it was used for some other type of pet?

follow3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great ideas. I was planning on doing a water hold test on it but didn't think about copper :confused: Can copper be trapped in the silicone or what? All the silicone looks great its just the lines about six or eight inches from the bottom.

With the residue lines at 6 or 8 inches from the bottom, I bet this tank was used for something other them fish. Probably turtles or maybe a Gator or Caimen.

I would say clean is good and do a leak test OUTSIDE. Then as a precaution maybe fill it, put in a couple of power heads run for a day and change the water...lather, rinse, repeat!!! LOL

Good Luck!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back