Found a way to control Radion G5s (mobius) with Apex?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi DIYers, I wonder if anyone has found a way to control their Radion G5s or their Mobius enabled Vortechs from Apex?
I thought I was OK with having my lighting work independently from everything else in my setup (Apex controlled) but I'm changing my mind and I'm considering doing something about it.
The idea is to program a cheap ESP32 (less than $10) to accept the 0-10 V variable output from Apex and translate it to the appropriate Bluetooth commands for the Radions.
I have the hardware and already captured unencrypted Bluetooth traffic.
I would need some help translating the traffic and maybe with the ESP32 code.
Can anyone think of an easier approach or is interested in helping?

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than accepting the 0-10v from the apex, and then translating that to BT/API calls into the Radion, I would say copy my code from my article on Apex DIY Moonlight, where I poll the apex's json for the state of the VDM outlets, and use that as my setting. One benefit of this, is if you have a VDM module you can use the 2 (presumably unused) serial port channels instead of the real VDM ports.

I don't have a Radion, but I'd be willing to help where I can. My code handles the Apex JSON API, you would just need to replace where I set the digital pot with BT code. I've only slightly played with BT, but would be willing to look at captures to help reverse engineer it.. I've done quite a bit of protocol RE in my days..

Only issue with my code is that it's for an ESP8266, not ESP32, so some of the libraries might have to be replaced.

If you did want to do the 0-10v route, then my best guess would be to use a voltage dividing circuit, and then an ADS1115, because the ADC on the ESP32 is trash.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that sounds really interesting. I have a few ESP8266s. I don't have a VDM though. I imagine that the VDM will give you more options but I would be satisfied with toggling between 5 or 6 modes.
I'll start defining some actions and logging the BT traffic try reverse engineer it.
I tried with Vortechs and I was able to see the values changing but I wasn't able to figure them out. I hope Radions are easier. I'll keep you posted!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back