Found fleas on my cat and in my house. House being bombed Monday...

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense, but that roommate/cousin sounds kind of like an butt. But I understand not being able to move out of a living arrangement- I've been stuck like that before. I hope that your tank does perfectly fine during Monday's bombing, and I hope you're able to find a better roommate or a better living situation soon!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Press and seal plus an air pump bubbler pumping air from outside sounds great (maybe a little overkill, but great)! But whatever approach you take, I think running some carbon is in order

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your using the term bomb which is typicaly associated with products not associated with a pest control company. As far as the effectiness of the treatment itself it's hit or miss as they typically have no insect growth regulators in them. They are typically not effective at hitting harborage areas in the home. They are also typically needed to be used multiple times. All reptiles aviary and fish Will be sensitive. You would benefit from calling a professional. However a real professional would tell you to move the tank or have you cover it properly and make you sign a waiver. Precor 2000 can be bought on line if you are doing it yourself. I would recommend that product over others mentioned. My advice is based on being a CPCO for nearly 3 decades.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who has to bomb often, it’s not as complicated as it seems.

First off, I also highly recommend Seresto collars. They aren’t cheap but very well worth their cost.

Second, I prefer to use press n seal. Turn off the filters/overflows/pumps/powerheads ect. Remove the light. Place press n seal across the entire top of the tank. Do the same with the sump. Make sure you press it. It’ll seal nicely as long as the outside is not wet. After the bombs are set, and you can open the house, remove and toss the wrap. I don’t like cling wrap and towels are too porous to me. I’ve done this many times over the years with every tank I’ve had and haven’t had a loss.
Ok I’ll try this. Tank should be fine with no flow for couple hours? I guess I can keep my MP10 running

I mightput a large bag of carbon in the water as well

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, Doc, would fleas still be crawling on the ‘people’ for 4-6 weeks? o_O
Fleas always prefer the animal over people. The collar does not repel the flea it just kills it when it jumps on the cat. The only time fleas will jump on people is when no animal is available for a meal. So no the fleas will not jump on the people as long as a cat or dog is available.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't anyone mentioned turning off your skimmer?
This would be my number 1 action to avoid gas exchange with contaminated air, as much as possible.
Running a temporary outside air line to the skimmer would be even better.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP you dont need to bomb your house for cat fleas ;Hilarious

This little guy of mine got fleas somehow once and I just treated him with advantage and cleaned house really well, they were off the cat in 24hrs, gone from everywhere in about two weeks.

You dont need to bomb your house !

20190402_084135.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank isn’t that big. I’d just buy a sheet of plastic from Lowe’s and cover the tank and stand. Then completely seal the bottom at the floor with damp towels over the plastic. I’d leave the tank running as usual aside from the lights and skimmer.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the tank or get rid of the roommate. If your roommate is so self-indulged that he is willing to use an antiquated, somewhat ineffective treatment that puts your tank’s inhabitants at risk because he saw a flea on a cat and won’t listen to reason, he doesn’t need to reside in the same dwelling as a reef tank.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the tank or get rid of the roommate. If your roommate is so self-indulged that he is willing to use an antiquated, somewhat ineffective treatment that puts your tank’s inhabitants at risk because he saw a flea on a cat and won’t listen to reason, he doesn’t need to reside in the same dwelling as a reef tank.
hes very hard-headed and thinks in a linear manner.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems kind of extreme for fleas. They have pills that you can give your cat. Will eventually kill all the fleas, but you could also spray furniture and floors and avoid the tank area.

Agreed. Thats excessive for fleas. Spend a couple days spraying and washing what you can. Fleas are always an unfortunate possibility with pets, but not something to stress too much about.

Edit: just read the part about your cousin. Stand your ground. He needs to learn what is necessary and appropriate. Don't enable his nonsense because he'll just do something like this again.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flea collars are poison for your cat. Use advantage, advantics, Frontline or the like. Vacuum daily. The fleas will go away eventually if you keep the pet treated and wash all bedding. Bombing once does nothing. It has to be done every few days for a week or two to break the life cycle. I've only had success by doubling the number of bombs recommended and using the ones for bed bugs. I have never bombed with a tank running

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the flea collar everyone was recommending.. Put it on her.

I was just reading horror stories about it and promptly removed it...

I'm returning it tomorrow.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the flea collar everyone was recommending.. Put it on her.

I was just reading horror stories about it and promptly removed it...

I'm returning it tomorrow.
we don't use them in my family, just use the advantage drops on their back or whatever equivalent brand every month or so

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back