Found in Galveston and don’t have the heart to let em die.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a couple of these and some thin striped hermits in Galveston admittedly thought they’d die in my Qt tank but they made it. What kind of snail is it? It burrows in sand. Are They safe? A pest? Thanks!! 809B58E2-4D83-4677-9B60-424727B8645B.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely either some type of tulip snail or triton, both of which are predatory. I don’t think it’s a conch. I could be completely wrong, but I wouldn’t risk it. Maybe look at some shell identification websites (or post some more photos and I can try to narrow it down).

Last edited:
OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely either some type of tulip snail or triton, both of which are predatory. I don’t think it’s a conch. I could be completely wrong, but I wouldn’t risk it. Maybe look at some shell identification websites (or post some more photos and I can try to narrow it down).
Excellent, I’ll post more photos when I get home. I’ve tried looking up and down the net and couldn’t find anything that was for sure a match. I’ve got them quarantined I’m my Qt along with the thin striped hermits until I confirm their aggressiveness. I let the hermits roam for a bit and all they the whole time was annoy my zoa frags so back to the breeder tank they went.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go guys, a few more picks of it. Hope this helps! D9E59DFA-4F4D-4814-80FA-A1095AFC28D8.jpeg 830FFC69-DEFA-4DDF-B83F-5A0C942EA9DA.jpeg CF5700A4-086A-41E3-8820-5FF31DC9C1B7.jpeg C52644D6-BDF0-4F66-8DB0-8E7D7497C2E5.jpeg 85E74935-FD7D-46E1-AB7B-CB51585C7DE1.jpeg

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Stramonita Foridana (Rock Shell or Rock Snail), then I'm pretty sure they're predatory

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the Florida Rock Snail and see if that looks like what you are seeing... I personally would not put this guy in my tank.
Yea, looks very similar to what’s in my qt tank. I’ve kept them in a floating breeder tank separated from all. Guess Ima have to sacrifice them to the coral gods (don’t judge me) their shells are exactly the size I’ve been looking for. The thin striped hermits are bulldozers and don’t leave my zoas in peace. Gonna get one of those frag trays and hope that they don’t figure out their way on. Thanks for the direction, much appreciated.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, looks very similar to what’s in my qt tank. I’ve kept them in a floating breeder tank separated from all. Guess Ima have to sacrifice them to the coral gods (don’t judge me) their shells are exactly the size I’ve been looking for. The thin striped hermits are bulldozers and don’t leave my zoas in peace. Gonna get one of those frag trays and hope that they don’t figure out their way on. Thanks for the direction, much appreciated.
Why take stuff from the wild that would have lived just to kill them? Unbelievable

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judge me if you will but just remember, you didn’t judge the guy who brought hitchhikers on your coral when you handed over your money. And I’m sure you had zero issues dipping and killing said hitchhikers when you got home. Save the virtue.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judge me if you will but just remember, you didn’t judge the guy who brought hitchhikers on your coral when you handed over your money. And I’m sure you had zero issues dipping and killing said hitchhikers when you got home. Save the virtue.
I don’t qt livestock nor dip corals. I don’t take things from the wild especially if I don’t know what they are and I live in Florida where I can easily collect things with my saltwater fishing license legally, yet I choose not to.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t qt livestock nor dip corals. I don’t take things from the wild especially if I don’t know what they are and I live in Florida where I can easily collect things with my saltwater fishing license legally, yet I choose not to.
If you’re in the hobby, whether you like it or not, you’ve disrupted an eco system and you’re part of whatever problem you’re having. Throwing rocks off a high horse in a glass house gets you no where. Unless you can guarantee me that you’ve never taken out a hitchhiker, go grasp your pearls elsewhere.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most stuff from the gulf will kill just about everything. I’ve had some cool blennies over the years that eat hydroids or aiptasia but unless you go to south Florida or can dive wrecks, the shore stuff is mostly Evil. Exceptions are porcelain crabs and most of the shrimp.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a predatory whelk, I can tell by the shape of the mouth and eyes. I have one of these in my tank, they will catch and eat small hermits and snails on occasion and do nothing to help out in the tank. The only reason I haven't disposed of mine is that it's tiny and my tank is big enough to let it roam.
I wouldn't recommend keeping it. Even if I am wrong, any snails you find on a beach are almost guaranteed to be predatory.

Back