Found in my filter

p4p2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these in various stages of growth in my filter. Any clue on what they are?
20230413_191443.jpg
20230413_194203.jpg
20230413_194220.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a hitchhikers guide that I bookmarked for reference.
If they are hard like a glass tube probably Vermetid Snails not something you want.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermatids are harmless for the most part. You will never eradicate them and they will hurt nothing i your filter. They are filter feeders.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want rid of them slowly, get some bumblebee snail. They are the only known thing to eat them mostly.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want rid of them slowly, get some bumblebee snail. They are the only known thing to eat them mostly.
Bumblebee's wrecked shop on them in my nano. Took a few weeks. But my they methodically got them. Haven't seen a vermetid snail in a couple years now.

And I believe one of the bumble bees may still be alive.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebee's wrecked shop on them in my nano. Took a few weeks. But my they methodically got them. Haven't seen a vermetid snail in a couple years now.

And I believe one of the bumble bees may still be alive.
Yeah i added 2 bumblebees a week ago but they havent started going ham on any vermetid snails yet but i hope they will eventually go ham.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't happen like that ever. It was more of slow methodical genocide.
Yeah, ive been seeing these past days new vermetid snails appearing on my rocks, hopefully they can be kept under control by my 2 bumblebees. There was 2 big vermetid snails on the lobophyllia frag i got for free but they were dead thank god, but it had a few live vermetid in its skeleton but i hope the lobo is fine.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the hand wringing about vermatid snails these days :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

20+ year old reef. Vermatids have come and gone in various quantities - my experience is 100% contrary to the "Ohhhh my goodness they are killing my coral". They are just another filter feeder. Sure, one can grow near a coral and then the coral will likely have to grow around it.... That is even a rarity for me.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the hand wringing about vermatid snails these days :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

20+ year old reef. Vermatids have come and gone in various quantities - my experience is 100% contrary to the "Ohhhh my goodness they are killing my coral". They are just another filter feeder. Sure, one can grow near a coral and then the coral will likely have to grow around it.... That is even a rarity for me.
Agree .

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kids

kids these days...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than making the rocks pokey when you pick them up, I've not found vermetids to be a big deal. I did have a couple in my previous setup that were rather large and did throw a web, but I just moved the coral that was in the direct path and let it be. The small ones never bothered my coral at all.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I found a lot in my drain and return pipes too...
Curious what problems that actually causes in your opinion
One issue is it restricts flow and could cause an overflow issue. Hasn’t caused an emergency for me yet, but is annoying.
mother issue is they are stiff and sharp. I have cut myself enough to bleed and poked myself so possible concerns about infections coming from the injuries.
I try to keep them cleaned off of the slots in my returns on my Red Sea tanks and the inside of the main and emergency pipes for piece of mind.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue is it restricts flow and could cause an overflow issue. Hasn’t caused an emergency for me yet, but is annoying.
mother issue is they are stiff and sharp. I have cut myself enough to bleed and poked myself so possible concerns about infections coming from the injuries.
I try to keep them cleaned off of the slots in my returns on my Red Sea tanks and the inside of the main and emergency pipes for piece of mind.
They definitely do make things prickly

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back