Found these guys on my coral

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just noticed these on my corals and I was wondering if anyone know what they were? friend or foe. If a foe how to treat?
Thanks in advance.
20230320_201041.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no personal experience. Maybe someone else will chime in. Or do a forum search and you will find plenty of threads.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flatworms are removed, the coral can recover. Soft corals are very hardy and can recover from almost anything if the conditions improve.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a sixline or Mandy may be in your future or if you prefer the chemical route, flatworm exit

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with the flatworm exit. It will work, but when you kill them in masses it can be pretty toxic to a tank if there are enough of them. Be prepared with a large water change right after it starts working. Before you use it, I would definitely siphon out as many as you can first. Like the post above said, may need a wrasse to keep them under control, or at least minimize them first

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a natural cure might be better, after reading the reviews it can be scary using flatworm exit, I have heard that six line can be a problem, is a Mandy? any better?
So far I have been using a turkey baster to remove the flatworms daily, it has slowed down to about 3 a day now.

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had several six lines with no issues. Mandarins on the other hand, you will have to figure out a way of feeding him if he doesn’t accept frozen food. Some do, some don’t. Just another thing to consider with them.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s probably a whole lot more that you’re not seeing hidden among the rocks. Mandarin likely won’t be the best solution.

Any pest eating wrasse should help. I’d recommend any Halichores wrasse; although not all will work for you depending on temperament/size. Yellow Corris wrasse is economical and a voracious pest hunter. Radiant wrasse is a great pest hunter, slightly more expensive. Some halichores can get large and aggressive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello I just noticed these on my corals and I was wondering if anyone know what they were? friend or foe. If a foe how to treat?
Thanks in advance.
20230320_201041.jpg
Ouch - Flatworms and a small infestation. In numbers can consume the flesh of coral, smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard (as below)
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back