Found these on the beach in Washington, need an ID!

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was traveling to Washington a few months ago, and there were hundreds if not thousands of these all over the beach, anchored to rocks, in sand etc. I assume they are some sort of anemone but not sure! maybe RFA's? It is worth noting that the water was fairly cold, so they aren't tropical. ( note: I did not take any or alter the ecosystem in any way, just want to know what they were )
IMG_3722.jpg
IMG_3723.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow -- you already got a scientific name response -- impressive.

I was going to say look just like what I've always seen in tidepools in southern California.

If you're into online reading, I was going to suggest checking this out:

West Coast Tide Pool Creatures

Happy researching!

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow -- you already got a scientific name response -- impressive.

I was going to say look just like what I've always seen in tidepools in southern California.

If you're into online reading, I was going to suggest checking this out:

West Coast Tide Pool Creatures

Happy researching!
Will check that article out, tidepools are fascinating!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered the same thing on the number of visits I've made to the West Coast. I was told that the most common anemone found in the tidal areas were Aggregating anemones.....that's my guess.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember captive bred Anthopleura elegantissima was once sold on this online store, having been acclimated to tropical temperatures:
https://coralscoral.com/
1643384037549.png

While most specimens would probably do best in cold/temperate water, they do not seem too hard to keep, given they are photosynthetic, thrive in tide pools, and can last for extended periods out of water (though that is just my guess).

I wondered the same thing on the number of visits I've made to the West Coast. I was told that the most common anemone found in the tidal areas were Aggregating anemones.....that's my guess.
I couldn't agree more! On my state's coast (California) I have never gone tide pooling without seeing these anemones. It also seems that they can appear in such dense concentrations (colonies) due to their prolific cloning abilities.
1643385642728.jpeg

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember captive bred Anthopleura elegantissima was once sold on this online store, having been acclimated to tropical temperatures:
https://coralscoral.com/
1643384037549.png

While most specimens would probably do best in cold/temperate water, they do not seem too hard to keep, given they are photosynthetic, thrive in tide pools, and can last for extended periods out of water (though that is just my guess).

I couldn't agree more! On my state's coast (California) I have never gone tide pooling without seeing these anemones. It also seems that they can appear in such dense concentrations (colonies) due to their prolific cloning abilities.
1643385642728.jpeg
It would be awsome to keep something like this in a home aquarium!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solid green ones are Anthopleura xanthogrammica
Are you talking about the image I posted? I think the bright green is just the lighting, plus, Anthopleura xanthogrammica does not feature the striations of Anthopleura elegantissima.
It would be awsome to keep something like this in a home aquarium!
If you have a coldwater marine system, you can obtain many west coast anemones from Matsu Collections, though you will need a scientific collecting permit.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the image I posted? I think the bright green is just the lighting, plus, Anthopleura xanthogrammica does not feature the striations of Anthopleura elegantissima.

If you have a coldwater marine system, you can obtain many west coast anemones from Matsu Collections, though you will need a scientific collecting permit.
Could be for sure I didnt look at it too closely

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back