Found this little anemone (?) growing near my zoa's. It's really kind of cool looking. Any idea what it may be?

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help ID-ing is appreciated. Thanks

20221202_132340.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard both that they’re harmless and pretty and that they’re snail eating and coral stinging pests - so it likely depends on the species. If yours multiplies slowly, then it’s probably not an issue; if it multiplies quickly, it’s probably an issue.

If you search around on the forum here about them, you’ll find pretty much every opinion possible on them, so it’s really just up to you to decide if you like them enough to risk them being an issue. Sorry I can’t really be more specific about if you should keep it or not, but that’s all I’ve really got for you with these guys.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I let it live or will it become a nuisance in any way?
The type you have is extremely unlikely to cause any problems. They stay small; they can multiply, but generally open at night. IMO, are pretty neat critters.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a ball nem, got one in my tank that live right next to one of my rock flower nems. They're a fun little addition. Mine hasn't cause me any concerns. Heck it's been buried a couple times for a a couple days by my pistol shimp and always opens right back up when uncocered. Personally I'd let it grow.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back