Found two things on my small zoa rock

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef,

I just found something on my small zoa rock. Still new to reefing, so would love some insight. I tried looking through the ID thread, but haven't found a match myself.

So the question is about the two circled things, red (aiptaisa?) and blue. There is also a video included for a better view, they both move with the flow.

Link to the video:

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: The zoas are usually all open and don't seem to mind whatever this is, they are a bit stressed in the picture because my hermit really likes to pick at their rock.

pest.jpg

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The item circled in red is aiptasia, usually considered a pest and can become overwhelming if not caught early. I'm not sure what the blue circle item is.

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The item circled in red is aiptasia, usually considered a pest and can become overwhelming if not caught early. I'm not sure what the blue circle item is.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks!

Any advice on how to get rid of it? It's jammed between two polyps. Just found another one, same thing, in-between two polyps.

Got about 30 Rasta polyps total on the small rock....I'm wondering if it's even worth the risk.

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several popular ways to deal with the aiptasia, my preferred method is to keep a few peppermint shrimp in the tank at all times, it works for me but not for others by their experience.

You probably do want to kill them because they will spread quickly. Besides peppermint, there are several fish that may or may not eat them, a nudibranch that only eats them and will starve after they are gone. Or chemical means, it's up to you to research and decide your next step. Good luck.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef,

I just found something on my small zoa rock. Still new to reefing, so would love some insight. I tried looking through the ID thread, but haven't found a match myself.

So the question is about the two circled things, red (aiptaisa?) and blue. There is also a video included for a better view, they both move with the flow.

Link to the video:

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: The zoas are usually all open and don't seem to mind whatever this is, they are a bit stressed in the picture because my hermit really likes to pick at their rock.

pest.jpg
Red looks like Aips. If in between polyps, take rock out of tank, apply some super glue gel over the aip and then rinse out of tank in some old tank water. Just be careful to not cover the head of the zoas around it. If you get a little on the stalk of the zoas, no worries. It will not hurt them as long as the head can open.

For the Blue, it is a little blurry, but does look a nudi. If it moves around, then it needs to go and you need to watch the rock for more. While out of the tank you will need to look for eggs as well. Google Zoa eating nudi to compare and then google zoa eating nudi eggs to know what the eggs look like. You will just scrub the eggs off with a toothbrush out of the tank in some old tank water and may need to monitor the rock and other zoas for a bit to make sure you get them all.

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red looks like Aips. If in between polyps, take rock out of tank, apply some super glue gel over the aip and then rinse out of tank in some old tank water. Just be careful to not cover the head of the zoas around it. If you get a little on the stalk of the zoas, no worries. It will not hurt them as long as the head can open.

For the Blue, it is a little blurry, but does look a nudi. If it moves around, then it needs to go and you need to watch the rock for more. While out of the tank you will need to look for eggs as well. Google Zoa eating nudi to compare and then google zoa eating nudi eggs to know what the eggs look like. You will just scrub the eggs off with a toothbrush out of the tank in some old tank water and may need to monitor the rock and other zoas for a bit to make sure you get them all.
Thanks for the reply Steve.

I have took the rock out of the DT, it was in there for about 5 days on the sandbed. Time will tell if it spread.

The blue circled thing does not move by itself, but does get moved by the flow. Now that you say, the white dots look like eggs...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back