Four eye butterfly mated pair ( Red blotches)

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got a mated pair of four eyed butterflies in QT They are eating great and doing fine. Other then these red blotches that had showed up on their sides which im not sure what could of caused that. You can see it in the photos below hopefully someone will be able to figure it out so I can cure them.

Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sores (I assume they are bacterial in nature) are very common on new butterflyfish. Best treatment I have found (thanks to SDguy) is Nitrofuracin Green Powder: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Combining Furan-2 (i.e. nitrofurazone) and Methylene Blue is a more easily accessible DIY option I have done in the past; I tried adding Triple Sulfa (to get the Sulfathiazole Sodium part), but the presence of the other two sulfa drugs seemed too much for the fish to handle (when combined with Furan-2.)

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is the mixture as effective and as safe as the actual powder. Because i can not get ahold of the powder for a while if i order it but i do have the furan 2 and methylene blue. My main concern is I dont want to end up killing them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is the mixture as effective and as safe as the actual powder. Because i can not get ahold of the powder for a while if i order it but i do have the furan 2 and methylene blue. My main concern is I dont want to end up killing them.

The Nitrofuracin Green Powder has worked better for me, probably because it also contains Sulfathiazole Sodium (which widens the spectrum of treatment). I also feel NFG powder is safer because it's already been formulated at the correct dosages. IMHO; it is a "must have" for any butterflyfish enthusiast (which I am :D).

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks im going to order that to fix this problem hopefully it does not take to long to get it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks im going to order that to fix this problem hopefully it does not take to long to get it.

If it looks like its gonna take awhile, I'd give them a Methylene Blue bath and then dose Furan-2 into their QT. To tide you over.

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it im on my third day the only issue now is it killed the filter so the ammonia is going. Even after doing waterchanges its still not bring it down to where i want it. Any suggestions on this? They are doing better it seems still eating well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it im on my third day the only issue now is it killed the filter so the ammonia is going. Even after doing waterchanges its still not bring it down to where i want it. Any suggestions on this? They are doing better it seems still eating well.

Are you using a test kit or Seachem ammonia alert badge? Meds in the water will interfere with most liquid ammonia test kits, so you gotta use the alert badge:

p-900966-FS73068K-fish.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldeneye;
How did you aquire these as a mated pair? I'm assuming they were wild caught as a pair. Four eyed butterflies might have been spawned in aquaria, but definitely not raised, yet, lol! From my personal experience here in Florida, collecting and attempting at keeping 4 eyed butterflies healthy. I would say I found it difficult. They seemed to get mal nourished over time and succumb. Disease was also common. I always found the reef butterfly and spot fin butterflies did better in aquaria. Not meaning to deter from your sick fish, but just curious to know if anyone has kept 4 eyed butterflies healthy?[emoji4]

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were a wild caught pair the only issue i have had so far was the sores, they eat the fresh clams i give them like pigs going through 2-3 per day. Im also qt reef butterflies those guys eat everything and anything. I have noticed if i do not keep a co stant supply of food with the pair they do not do as well.

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i could get them i would im prolly going to order freeze dried for my breeding pairs of discus maybe they will go for that

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i could get them i would im prolly going to order freeze dried for my breeding pairs of discus maybe they will go for that

Your LFS should be able to order them from their vendors. We order them from time to time and will sell them to our customers who ask. It's worth a shot.

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update day 5 of the NFG treatment red sores are no longer red and fish are doing well the treatment doesnt seem to bother them at all. 5 more days to go and hopefully it is gone for good.

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update day 5 of the NGF treatment red sores are no longer red and fish are doing well the treatment doesnt seem to bother them at all. 5 more days to go and hopefully it is gone for good.

Your awesome! Keep it up :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrofuracin Green Powder is awesome stuff. I'd recommend it over the Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furan-2 combo if it were just easier for folks to get. It's not something most LFS even think to carry...

OP
OP
Goldeneye

Goldeneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i would of known about it sooner i had many fish in the past i couldnt find any cure for this stuff prolly would of done the trick now i have enough for a while. It has a good shelf life good till 2019z

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i would of known about it sooner i had many fish in the past i couldnt find any cure for this stuff prolly would of done the trick now i have enough for a while. It has a good shelf life good till 2019z

It's a solid broad spectrum antibiotic, but it will only "cure" bacterial infections if the antibiotics contained therein correctly targets the offending bacteria.

However, the addition of Methylene Blue gives it an edge over most other "fish antibiotics" because that heals wounds/treats ammonia burn.

Its a good product to have on hand whenever a shipment of fish arrives in poor shape. Back in the day I used to split shipments with a LFS (when I did maintenance), and sometimes the fish arrived half dead & in cloudy water (ammonia exposure). The LFS would do nothing, but I would treat with Methylene Blue after getting the fish in clean water. I saved most of my shipment, while the LFS lost most of theirs. :p And even then, they still wouldn't change their ways. :eek:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back