FOWLR corals that are safe….

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 215 FOWLR that I’m wanting to add some simple corals too. I have two BTA’ s that are doing decent. The problem is I have a queen, emperor and french angel, clown trigger and moorish idol….. tried Green star polyps and they ate those like candy. Any other ideas?

86FC1976-0C1B-4EA8-BC02-38F3484FAB84.jpeg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals? Hairy mushrooms? Discosoma shrooms, Ricordeas, photosynthetic gorgonians (especially purple ribbon gorg), Texas trash palythoas, maybe a hammer or frogspawn?

All of them are viable options to try and you should be able to find small patches/frags pretty cheap.

For the mushrooms and palys, find a local hobbyist that wants to get rid of a whole rock covered in them. Much better chance of success than a little frag. For gorgonians, order from Gulf coast ecosystems, and put in like 3 or 4 at once. They ship pretty good sized gorgs and it would help spread any nipping. Adding a sheet of nori at the same time as the corals will also help.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no “safe” corals from that collection of fish. Especially the angels. Forget about it. I’ve been trying for 40 years. Best you can do is buy some cheap corals that if they get eaten one day, you don’t care. I read something once that corals with a lot of movement would be left alone by angelfish and other coral nippers. So I tried a couple of torch corals. Was fine for a few months, but then one morning before the torches had opened all the way, a majestic angel went to town on one of the torches. And that was that.

Last edited:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the BTAs are doing okay, you could add some in a different color. The queen and the french angelfish might eat these, but you could add some RFAs. There are some species of calcified marco algae (eg. branching coralline, halimeda, mermaids fan, etc) that your tangs and angels might eat, but probably won't.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some cheap mushrooms or some thicker plating stonies like Jedi Mind Trick. They won't usually touch the "trash" type of palys, but those are not great in a lot of tanks.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had a clown trigger in my frag tank for about a week now, hes surprisingly a model citizen with many types of corals, he does seem to move one acan frag around alot but leaves everything else undisturbed. your angels different story they will welcome the coral buffet like you just rang the dinner bell.

dlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an emperor angel. Doesn’t touch mushrooms and any hard corals I also have a huge bubble tip anenome for “movement “. I stick to very easy hard corals montipora, pocillopora, pavona etc.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals? Hairy mushrooms? Discosoma shrooms, Ricordeas, photosynthetic gorgonians (especially purple ribbon gorg), Texas trash palythoas, maybe a hammer or frogspawn?

All of them are viable options to try and you should be able to find small patches/frags pretty cheap.

For the mushrooms and palys, find a local hobbyist that wants to get rid of a whole rock covered in them. Much better chance of success than a little frag. For gorgonians, order from Gulf coast ecosystems, and put in like 3 or 4 at once. They ship pretty good sized gorgs and it would help spread any nipping. Adding a sheet of nori at the same time as the corals will also help.
i just burned like 100+ giraffe palys all dead now :(

guna24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower pot (Goniopora), Australian green cup coral, sun colour corals.. I had these corals along with Koran, emperor, bi-colour angels. They did not touch, but the mortality rate of Goniopora is high in captivity.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have angels but 7 triggers, a Clown is one of them. The Clown trigger is the only one that on occasion decides to go postal for a few and turns a small part of the coral to sand. Mostly they just bite rocks. I have colonies of Monti Spongodes that never get touched and grow fast, but Angel's might munch. I'm in Socal if your local I can give you some to try out.

Back