FOWLR Lighting

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater tanks. I am in the process of converting my 60" x 24" x 22" tank from planted freshwater to saltwater. I plan on taking it REALLY slowly. Eventually I would like to have a mixed reef tank ... but not for a long time (years?).

I sold all of my planted tank lights except for one ... Beamswork DA FSPEC Freshwater. My understanding is that using a freshwater light is not good for a saltwater tank. Since I am not going to be growing corals anytime soon, what kind of light should I be looking into for fish/live rock/ coralline algae? I prefer a cheap solution since this is temporary.

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater tanks. I am in the process of converting my 60" x 24" x 22" tank from planted freshwater to saltwater. I plan on taking it REALLY slowly. Eventually I would like to have a mixed reef tank ... but not for a long time (years?).

I sold all of my planted tank lights except for one ... Beamswork DA FSPEC Freshwater. My understanding is that using a freshwater light is not good for a saltwater tank. Since I am not going to be growing corals anytime soon, what kind of light should I be looking into for fish/live rock/ coralline algae? I prefer a cheap solution since this is temporary.

Thanks!
Anything cheap that's not meant to grow anything. Lighting isn't needed at all so the effects are only for viewing.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the planted tank light with all the reds spur unwanted algae growth? It does have a dimmer ...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the planted tank light with all the reds spur unwanted algae growth? It does have a dimmer ...
Algae comes either way. That light will increase the growth for sure though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back