FOWLR Nitrates

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those running on higher nitrates (>30) and have what you consider a fully stocked tank:

Do you test regularly and what do you average?

I test every 3 weeks or so mainly because I still have my Hanna checker from the reef days and like to see what the impact of a 40% - 50% water change is. This is approx 200g system. My nitrates average in the low 50's between water changes. I do check phosphate only because I run GFO and it really keeps the rocks and panels clean. I feed a good amount to a mix of mostly predator fish and tangs.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post some time ago by @lion king where for years he didn't measure and didn't worry about nitrate numbers (fish only). Then once you check, it's like hmm.. is that too high. From African Cichlids back in the day to now for fish only setups I never really cared. From what I've read nitrates for most fish especially the bigger predator types would need some absurd number to be an issue for fish health. Of course the lower the better.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fowlrs I run refugiums, haven't checked nitrtates in years and it's been more than year for any water changes. 3 of the tanks are ambush predator tanks with subdued lighting, I clean the glass from time to time, but there is very little to no algae at all. The 210 does have higher light and algae, but this does give it a natural appeal, amsent corals. Some of my fish have been with me approaching 10 years. All seem to he doing well, vibrant and beautiful. I believe I have mistakenly blamed high nitrates on issues like not eating but I'm not sure if that was really the case. Maybe one day I'll check the nitrates just for curiousity, and maybe do a water change. The macro algae is the best thing you can do for filtration, naturally removes nitrtrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fowlrs I run refugiums, haven't checked nitrtates in years and it's been more than year for any water changes. 3 of the tanks are ambush predator tanks with subdued lighting, I clean the glass from time to time, but there is very little to no algae at all. The 210 does have higher light and algae, but this does give it a natural appeal, amsent corals. Some of my fish have been with me approaching 10 years. All seem to he doing well, vibrant and beautiful. I believe I have mistakenly blamed high nitrates on issues like not eating but I'm not sure if that was really the case. Maybe one day I'll check the nitrates just for curiousity, and maybe do a water change. The macro algae is the best thing you can do for filtration, naturally removes nitrtrates and phosphates.
Thank you for the detailed response. Wow, no water changes. I can certainly see the value in the refugium. If nutrients are in check then for sure no need to change water. I always correlate refugiums and macro algae with reef tanks but totally makes sense for fowlrs also especially since they typically have higher nutrient levels.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed response. Wow, no water changes. I can certainly see the value in the refugium. If nutrients are in check then for sure no need to change water. I always correlate refugiums and macro algae with reef tanks but totally makes sense for fowlrs also especially since they typically have higher nutrient levels.

A skimmer and a macro source is really all you need. A reactor or refugium, or even planting some in the tank. If you can swing a skimmer one size up. The skimmer removes the organics before breaking down and the macro naturally uses nitrates and phosphates. Good flow and a short light cycle. Lighting is only necessary for veiwing pleasure, and without corals you don't need the intensity. Reduced lighting helps to minimize algae. Replacing ca and mg is still important as fish do use elements from the water column. Mg has been shown to help with digestion, and ca especially if not getting enough bones and shells from food.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. I appreciate it. I've had both reef and fowlrs for last 13 yrs after years of freshwater. I've mostly had fowlrs with messy eaters (two tanks running now with different puffers, Tangs, Harlequin Tusk and others. I agree. I've always run big skimmers. Right now I have a NYOS 220 on a ~200g system. Idon't have much algae at all. Between the skimmer, GFO, UV and big frequent water changes everything stays clean. Even the walls once a week is enough. MP40 on gyre flows nice. I was mostly curious on the nitrates and whether running in the 50s even mattered for fish. I don't think it's in any danger zone.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon FOWLR tanks have Nitrates off the charts (160 +). But everyone seems happy and I feed my fish like they are pigs. Phosphates run 5.0. I bought a Sulphur BioDenitrator just to give it a whirl, but the experience was a huge high-priced let-down. So now I just go merrily along with few, if any, water changes. I just let my skimmer and UV sterilizer do their thing. :)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Hannah checker the Nitrates in my 180g FOWLR is 75. This tank is about 8 months old. It was started with dry rock, live sand and seeded with a few pieced of rock from one of my other tanks. The light is an Orbit marine 6' LED, so pretty low intensity even at full power.

Current stock list:

1 Picasso Trigger
1 Clown Trigger
1 Scopas Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Powder Brown Tang
1 Flame Angel
1 Bluefin Angel
2 Domino Damsels
1 3 Stripe Damsel
1 6 line Wrasse

I have done 2 water changes on this tank in the time it has been running. 20 gals or so each time. I run a sump (about 20-30 gal) with a good skimmer. Clean the filter floss about once every other week. No refugium per say, although I do have a good handful of sea lettuce in the pre-return chamber but I don't keep a proper light schedule on it.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon FOWLR tanks have Nitrates off the charts (160 +). But everyone seems happy and I feed my fish like they are pigs. Phosphates run 5.0. I bought a Sulphur BioDenitrator just to give it a whirl, but the experience was a huge high-priced let-down. So now I just go merrily along with few, if any, water changes. I just let my skimmer and UV sterilizer do their thing. :)
160+ and phos at 5.0 wow. Then yeah, low 50s nitrate should be just fine. Do you have algae issues? Seems like fish are fine.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Hannah checker the Nitrates in my 180g FOWLR is 75. This tank is about 8 months old. It was started with dry rock, live sand and seeded with a few pieced of rock from one of my other tanks. The light is an Orbit marine 6' LED, so pretty low intensity even at full power.

Current stock list:

1 Picasso Trigger
1 Clown Trigger
1 Scopas Tang
1 Hippo Tang
1 Powder Brown Tang
1 Flame Angel
1 Bluefin Angel
2 Domino Damsels
1 3 Stripe Damsel
1 6 line Wrasse

I have done 2 water changes on this tank in the time it has been running. 20 gals or so each time. I run a sump (about 20-30 gal) with a good skimmer. Clean the filter floss about once every other week. No refugium per say, although I do have a good handful of sea lettuce in the pre-return chamber but I don't keep a proper light schedule on it.
Nice stocking list. Love the Triggers. So between my 50s, your 70s and jumbos160s on nitrates, we've covered the numbers I had in mind for evaluating. Fish health by eye at least seems fine in all three tanks. Thank you all.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back