FOWLR PH @7.4 question .

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having hard time maintaining PH in my FOWLR aquarium my ammonia nitrites and nitrates are all zeroes . Whats the best,cheap and easy way to raise it above 8? no matter how much buffer I add it reduces after few days

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is related to the air.
The more Co2 in the air, the lower the Ph. Adding a buffer is only a temp solution and short lived.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try an airstone, but the cleaning the resulting salt encrustation from the salt mist is a hassle. I raised my pH .1 to .2 doing this.

I was regularly struggling with pH readings between 7.6 and 7.8 for a few months after I started my tanks this past January. I then ditched the chemical tests, bought a Hanna meter (and a couple of Seneye probes), and realized that my pH was actually hovering between 8.0 and 8.3. If you've cycled your tank within the past three months, I'd just keep up with the water changes, as your pH will likely rise as the tank stabilizes.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try an airstone, but the cleaning the resulting salt encrustation from the salt mist is a hassle. I raised my pH .1 to .2 doing this.

I was regularly struggling with pH readings between 7.6 and 7.8 for a few months after I started my tanks this past January. I then ditched the chemical tests, bought a Hanna meter (and a couple of Seneye probes), and realized that my pH was actually hovering between 8.0 and 8.3. If you've cycled your tank within the past three months, I'd just keep up with the water changes, as your pH will likely rise as the tank stabilizes.
My tank is 5 month old I think ould it be because of biopellets .. my nitrates reduced to zero

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "biopellets" -- is that an additive or manufactured ceramic objects that provide greater surface areas for bacteria?

You can also try to cultivate macroalgae in your tank (or sump if you have one). I don't like chaeto myself, but many people have success in using it for nutrient export and/or to help with pH issues.

You should also look at gas exchange. Does your build have a canopy? Do you have sufficient movement to break up water tension? Adding a powerhead may address some of those issues.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "biopellets" -- is that an additive or manufactured ceramic objects that provide greater surface areas for bacteria?

You can also try to cultivate macroalgae in your tank (or sump if you have one). I don't like chaeto myself, but many people have success in using it for nutrient export and/or to help with pH issues.

You should also look at gas exchange. Does your build have a canopy? Do you have sufficient movement to break up water tension? Adding a powerhead may address some of those issues.
It's a carbon source ... I tried cheato it kept dying ... this one worked

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my another question do we really care?
If your fish are healthy, then probably not.

I'd also recommend a cheap indicator coral, such as a duncan coral or -- I can't believe I'm suggesting this -- a Kenya Tree. They will let you know -- quickly -- if water params are really off, and then you'll know that you probably do have some issues to address. Beware of Kenya Trees, though: they spread like wildfire. Even moderate lighting is fine for a Kenya Tree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back