0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon fowlr tank stocked with the following:

Dwarf fuzzy Lionfish
Foxface
Tassel filefish
Stars and stripes puffer
Snowflake eel
Niger trigger

I just got the trigger 3 days ago. He's a baby only about 2 inches in length. I noticed yesterday that he has developed ich. It was nearing the time to do a water change so I did a 15-20-% change and began treating with cupramine. Any other suggestions? Unfortunately I don't have a qt tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix some metroplex, vitamin c in with your frozen. When mixing the med and vitamin use seacheme focus to bind the meds to the food. The fish will ingest the med, vitamin, and food.

OP
OP
D

Dlane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already began dosing the copper yesterday so I think it's probably best not to switch medications. Just wondering if there's anything additional anyone thought I should do?

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say it's a FOWLR... dosing copper will be futile and will likely kill the eel and lion... quite possibly the puffer too. The copper wont be stable as the live rock will absorb it, making it nigh on impossible to stay at therapeutic levels. Stop using copper, big WC and run carbon to get rid...

Use CP instead.

The copper will cause more damage that the ich in this situation if you need motivation to stop using it :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP cannot be used in a DT either, because of biofilm. ;)

These fish need to be moved in a rockless/bare bottom QT and treated with CP.

Only hypo has a chance of succeeding in a DT in this situation, but that treats ich only: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/
True... given the OP stated there isn't a QT, then as a 'fix' CP would be preferable to copper... same issues with delivering a therapeutic dose, but won't contaminate the LR as I understand it?

I don't like hypo as a treatment, too many times velvet is wrongly diagnosed as ich and even with ich hypo is questionable imo.

As @Humblefish says, the absolute best thing to do is to take out the fish into a bare bottom QT and treat with either copper or CP. If you are absolutely certain it's ich, TTM then becomes an option.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents.

If a QT is not available, keep your fish as happy, healthy, and stress free as you can. My tank has ich, and I have dealt with it with good nutrition and a comfortable environment for my fish. I had one outbreak several months ago due to bullying, but that was the first and last incident I've had to deal with.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back