fowlr to reef tank, need help!

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to switch my fowlr to a reef tank. Currently I have a 20 gallon long with 20 pounds of live rock and 2-3 inches of live sand coverage. My equipment is no where near the best nor do I have everything I should but it has been working for me for the last three years. I am currently running a nicrew 24in led (got it cheap, don’t know model or wattage), 1650gph wavemaker, HOB Cascade 150 quad filtration(I have penn Plax filter cartridge, bio-sponge, and filter floss), Aqueon preset 100w heater.

Current water parameters:

Ammonia- 0
PH- 8.0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40ppm (I know this is high, usually around 10-20ppm, but my gf feeds the tank when I have work and lately she’s been putting enough food in for 10-15 fish when we only have 3)
Salinity- 1.025
Temp- 78 degrees Fahrenheit
Calcium- Unknown ( I have purchased fusion 1 and 2 but can't find a calcium test kit)
Magnesium- Unknown ( I have purchased Kent Magnesium but can't find test kit)
Alkalinity- Unknown
Phosphates- Unknown

For the unknown parameters I have been looking for test kits but can't seem to find decent ones that won't break the bank, if anyone can suggest anything. I also plan on replacing the Cascade filter with the Aqua Clear HOB 10-30g. I wanna replace my old light with either a Hipargero LED 30w or Phlizon 165w. I know I could use a protein skimmer but all the ones I've seen are a few hundred, if anyone can recommend a good one for a decent price. Will this equipment be okay?

Current residents:
1 emerald crab ( about 1 year)
1 scooter dragonet (about 2 and half years old)
2 ocellaris (about 2-2 1/2 months old)
I had a Fiji blue devil damsel but he was too aggressive and I had to bring him to LFS
I don't have yet but would also like to get a scarlet shrimp

Goal is to grow just soft corals and maybe a few sps down the line. I would also like to get an anemone for my clowns. Will this be sufficient enough Also seeking knowledge about anything and everything is appreciated. Im sure there is more I am missing and can't think of right now but if anyone can help me out id really appreciate it.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
odd as it sounds, it seems test kits are one of the barriers to entry.
I remember being very angry when my shopping cart for sand and testing supplies nearly equaled what I paid for the used tank, stand, and lights.

BRSTV just did a great series of "best in show" test kits.
I got the red sea foundation set and have been happy with it. The calcium and magnesium kits will last me the year easily. Alkalinity will require two refills. You're fortunate to already have salinity, ph, and nitrate. No real way around another $50-$75 investment in tests if you want to keep good reef params though. It helps to think of it as $5/month :)

I've liked any and all salifert kits I've tried. They're reasonably priced.

There is an all in one master kit out there. Won't name or badmouth it. Have seen people with beautiful tanks swear by them. Still, if you go that route, have a prob, and come on here for advise, the first thing that will be recommended is to upgrade your kit.

Not familiar with those lights, but plenty have stunning success with black boxes. Would def go with the 165w option over the 30. Would also poke around the lighting heading on here. Plenty of peeps sharing info on similarly priced black boxes. They can be had for near free used, if you can find them local.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important upgrade you will need is lighting, how much more light? Depends on what kind of corals you want to keep.
Lighting is not cheap so you must be careful of what you choose. Your tanks is not too deep so not so dificult to cover.
I've been watching for Ai prime or kessil A80 lights, that may be enough for you to start and you could add another module if needed.
Also, HOB filters with biowheels or cascades are not the best option for reefs as the have more of aerobic biofiltration and that leads to rise nitrates, but you can compensate it with water changes and more anaerobic filtration.
Hope this helps.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important upgrade you will need is lighting, how much more light? Depends on what kind of corals you want to keep.
Lighting is not cheap so you must be careful of what you choose. Your tanks is not too deep so not so dificult to cover.
I've been watching for Ai prime or kessil A80 lights, that may be enough for you to start and you could add another module if needed.
Also, HOB filters with biowheels or cascades are not the best option for reefs as the have more of aerobic biofiltration and that leads to rise nitrates, but you can compensate it with water changes and more anaerobic filtration.
Hope this helps.
I completely agree with this I have an AI Prime on my 15 and it works great. I know there is a new Prime HD 16 if you are trying to save some cash you could see if there are any Prime HD out there.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea test kits, but the hannah kits are MUCH easier to get accurate readings. Quicker as well. As said above, chinese black boxes are cheap, and put out enough power to grow whatever you want. Check out mars aqua, vipraspectra, SBREEFLIGHTS, reef breeders, etc. Those are pretty much in order of lowest cost.

Everything mentioned you can find used for sale here, including the more expensive options mentioned in other comments, for 1/2 to 1/4 new cost.

OP
OP
Cooper924

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou everyone for all the replies! With my filtration, how would I go about making it more anaerobic? I was thinking of taking everything out and running Chemi-blue, Poly-filter, and maybe Phosban(not sure if I will add it or not). @arturoo1977

As for lighting, I will search the forum for AI primes or Kessil a80, but I've also been seeing on this forum that people use the hipargero

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you get anaerobic filtration with places were oxigen and water flow is nearly cero. You can get this with deep sand beds or a "big" piece of rock buried in sand bed.

OP
OP
Cooper924

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 2-3 inches of coverage with live sand, do I need more than that? Also would it be better to run the chemi-blue, poly-filter/floss, or to turn the aqua clear into a refugium?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anaerobic interests you, check out Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer.

I have 3" of sand in DT and a small 6" removable sand bed in sump, but it's next to impossible to know if either is funcioning anaerobically, short of stirring it up heavily and seeing if the fish die of hydrogen sulphide poisoning.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep sand beds are supposed to be about 6" or 8", I know its not easy to get that deep, especially in a small tank, it will look odd. But maybe you can find a corner or a place in the tank back to increase sand bed deepness.
Filter floss is a good option, easier and cheaper to replace than brand filter cartridges.
If you have a refugium, you can cultivate chaeto or another algae that consumes Nitrates. Its another good way to keep those in control.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anaerobic interests you, check out Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer.

Very interesting! I'll read it carefully

OP
OP
Cooper924

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a refugium, only HOB filter, but I have seen videos and forums of people turning their aqua clear HOB into refugium. Would that be a better filtration than adding chem-blue, and filter floss? or any recommendations on what media to use, I know people tell you to use sumps and such, but I live in an apartment right now and limited on room. And what about bio balls or ceramic rings?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cooper924

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@arturoo1977 thanks for all the info today!

I think I am going to run an Aqua clear 50 with chem-pure blue (or elite? idk what's better) purigen and poly-filter, stick to a 10% weekly water change. As for lighting I think I am going with the Phlizon 165w dimmable full spectrum led until I can afford to get an AI prime or kessil a80 on sale for Black Friday or something, also a protein skimmer as well. Just curious of thoughts

OP
OP
Cooper924

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! Today I also noticed a white spot on my rocks not too far away from the coralline rock I added, it was not there a day or two ago, does anyone know what this is? Someone on here said it could be sponge

B92193BC-2773-40C0-A85C-DC2DCF2E5B26.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back