Foxface and other fish are stressed by lighting

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a 7" foxface and 3 small tangs and a 3" picasso/2 clowns in a 125 that has 0ammonoa 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate, they all act fine but once I leave the lights on(blue or purple) for a few hours they act skittish except for the triggerfish and clowns, my foxface just stands between some medium sized rocks all stressed out with dorsal fins up and in stressed out colors, any ideas?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a 7" foxface and 3 small tangs and a 3" picasso/2 clowns in a 125 that has 0ammonoa 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate, they all act fine but once I leave the lights on(blue or purple) for a few hours they act skittish except for the triggerfish and clowns, my foxface just stands between some medium sized rocks all stressed out with dorsal fins up and in stressed out colors, any ideas?
They'll get used to it. Sunlight doesn't stop happening.

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had a little bit of ammonia, just a hint.20, and he did get sick when i left the lights on 5-6 hours in 3 days, he developed a brown growing on his sides

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add any white to that at all?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said they all do fine but then you posted that one is sick?

I am confused. Light sensitivity can be a problem with velvet.

So are the fish fine or sick? :p
Rn the tangs and foxface act very skittish whenever i leave the lights on for more than 3 hours, before they acted the same but since i had a hint of ammonia the fox got sick with some brown stuf, i am 110% sure light stress had a lot to do with it since when i left them off the foxface recovered on its own...!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rn the tangs and foxface act very skittish whenever i leave the lights on for more than 3 hours, before they acted the same but since i had a hint of ammonia the fox got sick with some brown stuf, i am 110% sure light stress had a lot to do with it since when i left them off the foxface recovered on its own...!!

how long have you had the fish?

Do you have lots of live rock for them to hide in?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have lots of live rock for them to hide i
Ive had em for 4 months now, i do have some big rocks in there but im sure thats not the issue as they hide pretty well, i re arranged the rocks and added 2 bigger ones

99822F03-9870-418D-A26D-F5621942498B.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i re arranged the rocks and added 2 bigger ones today in the morning but they still dart like red belly piranhas lol except for the clowns and triggerfish and tbh the foxface is more bold than the purple tang and blue hippo

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rockwork is not going to cut it long term. You need to arrange caves and such to give the fish places to hide if they feel the need. This will make them more comfortable coming out if they know they have somewhere to retreat to, as well as provide territory and refuge from other fish if they decide to get aggressive with each other.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces go into camo, sometimes it can be more than other times but sometimes it can be less. Can you get a close up of the foxface and the tangs, then we can maybe get a better image of what may be going on.
When I say closeup I mean something like this. A healthy Foxface would look somewhat like this (Obviously not identical as this is a different species of foxface to what you have).
8154E983-9389-4C88-BE6C-E8950275287C.jpeg

And when you say light sensitive, it’s not usual for foxfaces (or most fish) to do that. As said above, Light sensitivity can be a sign of disease hence why I asked for a closer photo of each of the fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached it above, 4 months
It isn't enough rock/stacked properly. There is not enough hiding spots for each fish. When fish know there is no where good to hide, they can become stressed and actually try to hide more because they feel unsafe.

I would add 50% to double the amount of rock. Medium sized pieces may be easier to make overhangs and caves out of.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back