Foxface and Singapore Angel Worries

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Singapore Angel and a Onespot Foxface, which have been in the tank for around six months, the angel slightly less than the Foxface. I didn't notice the similar colour and shape of these when I added the Angel (too excited to get a nice fish I guess), and I didn't twig that the Angel might get aggressive.

It seemed like my concerns were unfounded, and they spent most of their time together. If either one swam to the other side of the tank, the other would follow.

Then came the body language, with the Angel turning side-on to the Foxface and kinda shivering. Nothing much happened, with the Foxface pretty much ignoring this display. As time passed I think he got a bit fed up with this, and began turn his back towards the Angel with all prickles extended.

An hour ago I saw the Angel biting the Foxface's dorsal spines.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this at 6pm on a Sunday evening. I've no chance of catching either of them.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, turn lights off ,try mirror on glass for morning...

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, turn lights off ,try mirror on glass for morning...
Thanks, the lights are off now and I've a mirror ready. The strange thing is that it's not a fight. There's no chasing or normal aggressive behaviour and they're still swimming around like buddies - until they go into a cave or sheltered spot, then they'll do their strange dance. The Foxface seems unfazed apart from extending his spines towards the Angel. My fear is the Angel impaling herself on those spines.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what size tank ? multiple hiding caves ??

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Red Sea 525. There are plenty of rocks and a few caves of different sizes. There's no single cave either of them call home. The Angel will squeeze between rocks at night, while the Foxface prefers either of two larger, more open caves. It's these open caves, during the day, where they have their little squabbles.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back