Foxface busted lip?

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface and mimic tang at the tail end of the hybrid tank transfer method. I was double checking the fish, ammonia, etc and started looking at the foxface mouth and noticed his snout/upper lip looks like it's busted or something. Thinking maybe he has hit the glass too many times wanting to get in the bigger tanks but wanted to see if I'm missing something or if I need to medicate or something else.

For reference the two fish had a ruby reef rally dip then started httm with only h2o2 baths every other transfer. No prazi, no copper, no general cure, etc.

Feeding a wild variety of food (ignores red and green nori). Pe pellets, tdo, algae max, seaweed extreme, formula two flakes, prime reef flakes, dr bassleer Matrine, selcon soaked food once a day. Eats like crazy.

Any thought?

20220620_131825.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a foxface and mimic tang at the tail end of the hybrid tank transfer method. I was double checking the fish, ammonia, etc and started looking at the foxface mouth and noticed his snout/upper lip looks like it's busted or something. Thinking maybe he has hit the glass too many times wanting to get in the bigger tanks but wanted to see if I'm missing something or if I need to medicate or something else.

For reference the two fish had a ruby reef rally dip then started httm with only h2o2 baths every other transfer. No prazi, no copper, no general cure, etc.

Feeding a wild variety of food (ignores red and green nori). Pe pellets, tdo, algae max, seaweed extreme, formula two flakes, prime reef flakes, dr bassleer Matrine, selcon soaked food once a day. Eats like crazy.

Any thought?

20220620_131825.jpg
Looks like skin is either distended or mouth licked open
How is the breathing (normal or labored ?
Sometimes issue like this self corrects
Should it be bacterial issue with skin, seachem kanaplex in quarantine but I think it’s mouth is stuck open from possible lockjaw

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thought?

20220620_131825.jpg
It does look like mechanical damage. TTM is pretty rough on fish in this regard. Have you been netting the fish?
Jay

OP
OP
L

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab an assortment of the plexes (kana, metro, etc). I do have HydroPlex I could dip it in while I wait to get the kanaplex.

As for lockjaw, what causes that or is it cureable? I will say his mouth always seemed a bit "open" but it moves and he eats.

OP
OP
L

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes big net but he does not like it at all. Probably the most unhappy I've ever dealt with. I want to move him over but not if bacteria might be a cause. Added picture for a different view of him

Attachments

• 20220620_141145.jpg
    20220620_141145.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 22

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes big net but he does not like it at all. Probably the most unhappy I've ever dealt with. I want to move him over but not if bacteria might be a cause. Added picture for a different view of him

Can you post a short video? In some cases, physical trauma causes a fish's mouth to stay open, but in other cases, respiration difficulties result in an "open mouth" breathing, and I'd like to rule that out.....

Jay

OP
OP
L

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just swapped to a new tank about 20 minutes ago.

kanaplex and focus ordered and he will go through that. It does look like he's got some skin hanging from his lip. You can see it in the video.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back