Foxface cloudy fin- parasite, worm, or nothing?

CakeOrCrayons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up a foxface from the LFS about a week ago. I noticed a very small, single line cloudy patch on his left fin, and really didnt think anything of it. Hes been in QT with 40mg/gal CP for 6 days, is eating and swimming normally. The cloudy line hasnt went away... Is this a worm? Nothing? Was planning on moving to a different tank and treating with prazi after 14 days of CP.

Tank salinity is 32ppt and temp is 79-80. Running a seachem tidal 35 HOB with fluval biomax and sponge (seeded for 10 days with fritz turbo start). No live rock, only PVC and a sponge air filter at the bottom.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up a foxface from the LFS about a week ago. I noticed a very small, single line cloudy patch on his left fin, and really didnt think anything of it. Hes been in QT with 40mg/gal CP for 6 days, is eating and swimming normally. The cloudy line hasnt went away... Is this a worm? Nothing? Was planning on moving to a different tank and treating with prazi after 14 days of CP.

Tank salinity is 32ppt and temp is 79-80. Running a seachem tidal 35 HOB with fluval biomax and sponge (seeded for 10 days with fritz turbo start). No live rock, only PVC and a sponge air filter at the bottom.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks!

Oh - that fish is breathing way too fast. Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation, but something that breaks the water's surface)?

If you weren't dosing with chloroquine, I would say the fish has Amyloodinium, velvet. I can't explain the rapid breathing though, if the CP was doing its job. CP has been off the market for some time now, maybe your is out of date?

Jay

OP
OP
CakeOrCrayons

CakeOrCrayons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - that fish is breathing way too fast. Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation, but something that breaks the water's surface)?

If you weren't dosing with chloroquine, I would say the fish has Amyloodinium, velvet. I can't explain the rapid breathing though, if the CP was doing its job. CP has been off the market for some time now, maybe your is out of date?

Jay
Jay, thanks for your reply-

He startled when I turned the hood lights on- I try to keep it off as much as possible as not to degrade the CP, but he is usually a pretty calm fish. Originally he had a white spot on his side when I picked him up from the LFS, which has recently disappeared- I presume it was ich and the CP was effective. I ordered the CP from NFP in February, and have used it to treat other fish so I am confident in its efficacy. Tank has a sponge filter/air pump combo for oxygenation that does cause surface agitation.

What makes you think velvet? I attached another video for reference- right after feeding time so please excuse the mess!

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, thanks for your reply-

He startled when I turned the hood lights on- I try to keep it off as much as possible as not to degrade the CP, but he is usually a pretty calm fish. Originally he had a white spot on his side when I picked him up from the LFS, which has recently disappeared- I presume it was ich and the CP was effective. I ordered the CP from NFP in February, and have used it to treat other fish so I am confident in its efficacy. Tank has a sponge filter/air pump combo for oxygenation that does cause surface agitation.

What makes you think velvet? I attached another video for reference- right after feeding time so please excuse the mess!

Thanks!
Darn - I can't get the video to play on my phone or my office computer. It was the respiration rate that has me thinking velvet.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back