Foxface issues

dtuma14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a foxface, all healthy, full of character, issue is only Ever since moving him from a small 4ft to 7ft he’s been blowing/spitting water and being rimless I have salt stains running down the glass, on the cabinet and puddles of small water on the tiles. I’ve hand scooped him out of the tank today that’s how friendly he is and placed him in the sump.

ive had this guy since the beginning and at a very small size. I don’t really want to get rid of him and don’t want to stress him out being in the sump. Is there anything I can do for him to stop this behaviour?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting - the behavior is called "piping". I see it much more often when a fish is moved from a large to a small tank. It generally stems from the fish not being comfortable. Unless you can figure out what the trigger is (another fish?) I don't know any way to redirect that behavior long term.

How long was it in the larger tank?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi I have a foxface, all healthy, full of character, issue is only Ever since moving him from a small 4ft to 7ft he’s been blowing/spitting water and being rimless I have salt stains running down the glass, on the cabinet and puddles of small water on the tiles. I’ve hand scooped him out of the tank today that’s how friendly he is and placed him in the sump.

ive had this guy since the beginning and at a very small size. I don’t really want to get rid of him and don’t want to stress him out being in the sump. Is there anything I can do for him to stop this behaviour?
applying saran wrap to top of tank will prevent the splashing and overrun although its an alternative and not solution but is stress related. The stress can simply be change of environment but also low oxygen associated with transfer.
See if adding an air stone changes the behavior as well as reduction of bright white intensity a little

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back