Foxface messed up!

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mounting some corals that @CastAway so graciously hooked me up (with super glue like i always do) and my foxface took a big ole bite out of it before it dried!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! I grabbed the glue he had in his mouth and it was stuck to his snout. I tried to shake him off lightly and that eventually worked, but it quickly became apparent that he had actually glued his mouth. I was so bummed! Its not like it was my fault but starving to death is a terrible way to go.
I knew I had to try something, anything to save him. So i fed the tank and he tried to eat but couldnt open his mouth and just chased the mysis around the tank before retreating to his cave. I was eventually able to net him, and used two safety pins and some tweezers to pry the glue off of his mouth and check that there was no more.
Once i got it off and got him back into the tank the praying began. It seemed touch and go for a little bit but this was just several hours ago and he has already eaten since being back in the tank.

SUCCESS!!!!!! I just wanted to share my trials and tribulations tonight. Hope yall and your tanks are doing good!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes - a spike in blood pressure I suspect. I'd feel terrible if he didn't recover 100%! Hopefully as it's slime coat replenishes, it'll slough all the glue off.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come across this in my reading a couple times, the glue generally comes of in a few days in most instances. Either the fish gets it off by rubbing on the rock, or it had to be removed as you did it, what a crazy issue to have lol

joffems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact same thing happened to my one spot foxface two months ago. It took roughly an hour for him to free himself (with the help of my melanurus wrasse picking at the glue).

OP
OP
nine8taco

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to! And glad to know any small pieces I may have missed should come off on their own.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg dude! My heart dropped while reading this. I might not believe you if I wasn't a reefer lol. I felt so bad for the poor foxface. Very glad to hear he is fine and doing well. Our fish are like dogs to us man, gotta take care of them!!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is I take the frag I'm about to glue and cut off the bottom part so it's just the disc part left. I make a ball with putty, put a spot of glue underneath the frag and press the ball of putty into it. I then add some more glue on top of the putty and that's when I put the frag into the tank. The putty molds to the rock you're securing it to and the glue holds it in place, much easier and you're not squeezing glue from the tube in the tank. I use to make a mess in the tank trying to glue frags that wouldn't hold and would wind up using too much glue. Using the putty I don't use a lot of glue and it's secured better because there is more surface area bonding to the rock.

OP
OP
nine8taco

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is I take the frag I'm about to glue and cut off the bottom part so it's just the disc part left. I make a ball with putty, put a spot of glue underneath the frag and press the ball of putty into it. I then add some more glue on top of the putty and that's when I put the frag into the tank. The putty molds to the rock you're securing it to and the glue holds it in place, much easier and you're not squeezing glue from the tube in the tank. I use to make a mess in the tank trying to glue frags that wouldn't hold and would wind up using too much glue. Using the putty I don't use a lot of glue and it's secured better because there is more surface area bonding to the rock.

Thats actually and awesome idea! Thanks for the idea Ill have to try that in the future.

OP
OP
nine8taco

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fox face is done. He ate last night. This afternoon my wife face timed me and show me the fox face floating around the tank face down. And when I got home tonight he was dead and the Duncan was holding on to him. Only thing I can think of is that he actually ingested some of the glue.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fox face is done. He ate last night. This afternoon my wife face timed me and show me the fox face floating around the tank face down. And when I got home tonight he was dead and the Duncan was holding on to him. Only thing I can think of is that he actually ingested some of the glue.

Or his mouth was injured during glue removal, bacterial infections can be nasty and fast.

Either way, sucks to lose a fish...i really like fox faces.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost your foxface.

You wouldn't think that stuff would smell very appetizing...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back